Chapter 27-Diana

Date on Earth: Tuesday, October 10

I held Cassie–my little sister–tightly as the aliens flew away on their large spaceship. A suffocating silence filled the air at their departure, and I faced Tesha to see what was happening next.

She wasn't looking back at me, though. She had turned her attention to the casualties from the battle. The gray Axones still were on the ground, milky-colored blood puddling next to their bodies.

And it was all my fault.

I killed them.

It was a picture I'd never forget.

After what felt like forever, Tesha finally looked in my direction, and I braced myself for her wrath. I didn't deserve forgiveness for anything I had done. My actions had warranted their hatred.

But she didn't say anything. In fact, Tesha completely ignored me as she pushed past to talk to the other stranded aliens that had been holding my parents.

It made me feel even worse. I wanted to be screamed and yelled at. To be told how horrible a person was. How I deserved the worst of the world.

Because any kindness would just make my guilt grow tenfold.

Tristen had picked up Asher's body, and as I looked at it, I choked at the sight. The bones in his legs were definitely broken, and scrapes and bruises covered his arms and face. While unconscious, he looked like a dead corpse.

It was worrying that he hadn't woken up yet. I still didn't know what had happened or what he had done to cause that big explosion of power, but whatever it was seemed to drain every ounce out of him. And he definitely needed medical attention.

Me and Tristen made eye-contact, and I could see the emotion swirling in his eyes. There was so much pain and fear and maybe even the slightest bit of betrayal.

But there was no hatred. In fact, through all his emotions, his gaze almost looked understanding.

"I'm sorry," I whispered once again. I wasn't able to hold it back. The words didn't feel strong enough. There had to be another word in the English language that could hold more meaning and emotion.

Tristen gave me a forced smile that didn't hide the hurt he was feeling. He looked down at Asher's face. "It's okay," he said. Then, "He'll be okay."

The gentleness of his voice caused my eyes to tear up once again. Why couldn't he get mad at me?

"Unonu and Yume will take your family back to their home," Tesha's voice echoed in my ears, and it took me a second to realize the statement was directed at me.

I turned around to face the two aliens, still holding Cassie close to my chest.

"You can trust them," Tesha said, most likely noticing my hesitation. The words caused me to flinch. It was like a hidden message: unlike you.

"How-" my voice was scratchy, and I had to let out a small cough before continuing. "How will they get there?"

"It is a few days' walk, but their armor has ways to get to the destination faster," Tesha said vaguely, still avoiding my gaze.

With my ever-shaking hands, I handed my baby sister to one of the Axones, and they gave me a slight nod. They stepped away and pressed a button on their armored suits. There was a humming noise, and without warning they shot up, waves of energy shooting from the bottom of their shoes. By the time I blinked, they were gone.

"What now?" Tristen asked the question that had been plaguing my mind as well. What would happen to us? To the Axones that had been stranded here on Earth?