Chapter 2

I hardly got out of bed the following day. It felt like an unseen weight was weighing me down, making it impossible to move. As if that wasn't bad enough, my head was throbbing, a headache stretching from temple to temple.

Mom, Dad, and Drew came in periodically to check on me, but I barely said two words. I just laid in bed, staring at the ceiling. Hours passed like this, and before I knew it, the sun was beginning to set.

My body and head ached, both from lack of food and pain. When the door cracked open, I flinched. Drew's head popped in, his face creased in worry. "Can I come in?" He asked quietly, eyes scanning my face. As he opened the door wider, I noticed a tray in his hands, laden with shrimp, lobster, and bubble tea.

Tears filled my eyes at his voice, but I nodded. He shut the door behind him and swam to my bed, placing the tray on the nightstand and perching on the side. When he took my hand, his grip was warm and firm. "Want to tell me what happened yesterday?"

I shook my head, biting back a sob. "I don't know what happened. But... Jacob and Wyatt... I heard their voices, then my vision began to blur as I started to fall. A black void swallowed me up, until there was nothing but black and the sensation of falling. I had to bite down on the urge to scream, forcing myself to remain calm."

Here I had to pause, take a shaky breath. Remind myself that it was only a nightmare, that I was safe. "It seemed like an eternity had passed when the sensation finally ceased and the void vanished. I didn't slam into the seafloor, but I had the distinct feeling of gasping, trying to get water into my lungs. I warily looked around, attempting to get my bearings. My bedroom had disappeared. In its place was a large swath of seafloor—one I quickly recognized. It was right outside the Bronze Mermaid."

My chest hitched as the aforementioned tears rolled down my cheeks. Drew said nothing, only gripped my hand tighter. "I whirled around, but I was alone. The front door to the resturant suddenly opened, a grown mermaid swimming outside. Three other mermaids trailed her. I opened my mouth to shout, my heart leaping into my throat—realizing belatedly that she couldn't hear me."

Drew's face paled, eyes wide. I had a feeling he knew where this was going. "They were all laughing, chattering—until a sudden hush fell over the water. A merman suddenly swam out in front of them, halting when he noticed the first mermaid. His eyes widened as his mouth opened. 'Carla?' His voice was barely a whisper."

My hands balled into fists, nails digging into my palms. I welcomed the pain—it kept me focused. "She swallowed hard and took a deep breath. When she exhaled, her face turned to stone, her eyes hard. 'What are you doing here?' She asked, not bothering to lower or hide the bite in her voice."

I almost cried out as pain splintered through my head. I slumped back against the pillows, teeth clenched. My eyes were impossibly heavy, but I continued. "Jacob flinched as if he'd been struck, his eyes filled with pain. 'Please', he said. 'I—I've been looking for you everywhere. We need to talk.' His voice cracked as the last word left his mouth."

Drew let out a tight breath, eyes filled with a mixture of pain and anger. Still, he never spoke. "Her face paled, but she didn't back down. 'I have nothing to say to you.'"

I paused yet again, preparing to voice the words waiting on my tongue. "His next words made her stop dead. 'You're a Siren.' The other mermaids gasped, glancing at Carla."

My eyelids fluttered, but I pushed through the exhaustion, the pain. "Her eyes were filled with quiet anger, hands clenched into fists at her sides. 'You listen to me,' she said softly, voice hard. 'You will not call me that again. Stay out of my life.'"

I took a breath, closing my eyes as I exhaled. "He shook his head as she turned to leave, gently grasping her wrist. Her eyes widened as she looked down at his hand. When she met his own, they were wide, pleading. 'Please, Carla. I—I know I've made some mistakes, and I'm truly sorry. Please.'"