Chapter 6

Brooke POV

I stretched as I woke up, frowning as I felt a cushy surface beneath me. Looking around, I realized I was on the bed and not on the floor where I laid down. I don't know how I got there. I guess my sleepwalking kicked in and I instinctively got on the bed. Hopefully no one saw me on the bed.

I shuffled to the shiny white bathroom, gawking at the rats nest of frizzled hair in the large mirror. Glancing around, I saw a brand-new hairbrush and a bottle of face wash sitting by the silver chrome faucet. Why would they give me anything new?

After splashing water on my face and getting dressed in the only outfit I had, I slowly sat down on the bed, hoping no one would notice.

I didn't want to get yelled at on my first full day here. I wasn't sure I had permission to leave the room, so I decided to just stay here.

After 30 minutes, there was a knock on the door. I immediately scrambled off the soft bed and stood up, staring straight ahead. Marcus poked his head inside the door with a frown.

"Hey, come get breakfast. It's already 9 o'clock."

My eyes went wide, but I didn't dare say my thoughts out loud. I get breakfast?

"O-ok, I'm coming." Now that I had permission to leave the room, I timidly walked over to Marcus, prepared to walk down with him.

Naturally I waited for him to move, knowing I needed to be behind him. Benny didn't like it when I was in front of him.

As we approached the kitchen nook, I kept adjusting my steps to stay behind Marcus. He glanced at me with a puzzled expression, as if wondering why I was behind him.

"Brooke, you can walk beside me. Don't stay behind me."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was doing that." I did realize, but I don't need him suspecting anything. Maybe he's not like Benny, but I can't take that chance.

My breath hitched as we came to the table, seeing the three other boys from last night. I was especially scared of Daniel after his outburst last night.

Marcus guided me to an empty seat, which sadly was across from Daniel. I sat down, trembling as he glared at me.

"Why does she have to sit across from me? I don't want her here."

"DANIEL! That is enough! Do not speak to her like that again."

As they argued, I stared at the plate in front of me, piled high with pancakes and eggs. There was no way I could eat all this. Besides the fact that it will make me fat, I'm not used to eating big meals.

Glancing up, I realized all four of them were staring at me. Daniel with a glare, Lucas and Michael with uninterested eyes, and Marcus with...concern?

"Why haven't you started eating yet?"

"I can eat this?"

"Why the hell wouldn't you eat it? Do you have an eating disorder or something?"

I flinched away from Daniel's loud outburst. I don't think I have an eating disorder. But they can't know that I needed permission to eat. I needed an excuse.

"Um, usually my-my stepfather and I said a prayer before eating. I was waiting for the prayer to eat."

"We don't usually pray here, but if you'd like to we can," offered Marcus. Since I was lying through my teeth, I declined and picked up my fork.

I managed to finish one egg and three-quarters of a pancake, which is more than I could usually do. There were still 3 pancakes left on the plate, though.

"Are you done already? There's still a lot left."

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I'm not very hungry right now." Hopefully they wouldn't be upset. They were.

"Marcus, you have to make her eat more than that. She's a twig!"

"Lucas, it's not your business. Brooke, you're ok, but I'd like to see you eat more in the future. Once I'm finished eating, we'll go to my office to discuss rules."

Rules. Benny had a lot. Walk behind me. Eat only when I tell you to. Don't tell anyone what happens at home. Listen to everything I tell you. Make me dinner every night. Respect me no matter what. That one I had trouble with. I hated pretending to respect someone so despicable.

His interpretation of respect involved total obedience and submissive responses. I tried to avoid being respectful at first, but after he sliced my thigh open I gave up. Just thinking about this gives me anxiety.

"Yes, sir." Damnit. It slipped out. The mention of rules made me think of Benny.

A flash of a frown flickered across Marcus' face. "You don't have to call me sir, Brooke. We're family." Yeah, well I thought Benny was family too.

"Ok, s-Marcus." I quickly corrected myself, though I think he noticed because his eyes darkened for a split second.

As he stood, I hesitantly rose as well and followed him to a giant study with a majestic oak desk. He sat behind it and rested his elbows on the surface.

"Brooke, there's a few rules you need to follow. These apply to your brothers as well.

1. Always respect me and your brothers and we will respect you.

Well that's new. In my experience respect doesn't go both ways. We'll see if they actually follow through on that.

2. Tell me where you're going, who you're going with, and when you'll be back. This is for your safety as well as for me. Do not leave the house without telling me, or there will be consequences.

I have no life, so I won't be leaving the house. Even still, why would you give a damn if I left? Benny didn't.

3. I noticed your school records aren't the greatest. You will not be skipping school and your grades will stay at a B+ or above.

It's not like I wanted to skip school. Yeah I'm smart but there's only so much I can do when I'm beaten half to death.

4. No boyfriend until you can prove you are trustworthy. I understand that you cannot avoid boys at school, but you are not allowed to date until I know you can handle it.

That's not a problem. I don't interact with boys and they probably think I'm ugly anyway. Plus teens are too hormonal to date seriously.

5. No lying. We will know and you will be punished.

Well that's gonna be an issue.

6. Take care of yourself. Let us know if you need anything at all. We are here to help you.

Yeah right. I don't trust you and probably never will.

There will be punishments and consequences if you break any of these rules. Are there any questions or concerns?"

Punishments. If he's anything like Benny that means beatings. I'm not sure if he is but who knows? I'm not very lucky by nature. There was that one time Benny was mad at me because-

I began spiraling, and only snapped out of it when Marcus waved his hand in front of my face. Instinctively, I flinched. His eyes flickered momentarily.

"I said, do you understand these rules?"

"Y-yes si-Marcus," I blurted out. My mind was still on rules so I associated him with Benny.

"Good. You can leave." He seemed a little angry so I stood up quickly, wincing as I did. I really need to retape my ribs.

"What's wrong? I saw you wince." Of course he did.

"Nothing, just some cramps." Hopefully he drops it. After a thoughtful "hmm," he waved me away. I scurried out of the massive office, gasping as I bumped into a hard chest.

A/N Early update!! I'm celebrating the fact that people are actually reading this and that my writer's block cleared up. Enjoy!