Chapter 22

I'm screwed. I left the house with the intention of going to the subway station before I realized that would be the first place they looked.

So I decided to go to a park to throw them off before escaping.

I had it all planned out: before the sh!tshow happened, I had stolen a credit card from Daniel (I was still paranoid, sue me), so with it I withdrew the maximum amount of cash allowed so they couldn't track me through transactions.

I planned to swim in a pond to destroy any tracker they may have planted on me because let's be honest, they're extra. I would keep a lookout for security cameras and police officers knowing they had access to lots of resources.

After going through the pond, I would buy a change of clothes with the giant wad of cash I had, so I would look like a normal teenage girl instead of a ragged, dripping-wet idiot.

I just needed to pretend I was 18 and no one would question me traveling alone.

I thought all I had to do was lay low for a couple hours and then leave.

I felt bad about leaving Lucas, Daniel, and Michael, but what Marcus did was unforgivable. I couldn't live with someone who would not respect my boundaries at all.

But my plans went horribly wrong. I got the money from the ATM and then took a very swervy path to the mall to splash through a fountain and buy new clothes.

No one told me the mall security does not take very kindly to people swimming through their fountain, even though I TOLD them I wasn't trying to steal the quarters.

Now I was sitting in the security office, refusing to say a word, while they searched me for ID. They didn't find any.

For once I was thankful that Benny didn't let me get a driver's license.

I stayed silent through all their boring questions: what's your name, where are your parents, who are you with...blah, blah, blah.

Once they stopped to take a breath, I spoke up.

"You know, I didn't know it was illegal to swim through the fountain. It's just really hot, so I wanted to cool off.

"I did not commit a crime; the worst you could call it is trespassing, which is a little ridiculous since no one cares about the stupid fountain.

"Plus, charging me would take time and paperwork, and no one wants to deal with that."

"Young lady, this is a serious offense. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

"I'm going to have to take you down to a police station to get you fingerprinted so we can find out who you are. Unless you want to tell me now." His voice was stern.

How is swimming in the fountain a "serious" offense? Who's offended? None of the people around were.

I stared at him defiantly with an eyebrow raised. There was no way I was giving up who I was without a fight.

But...crap they fingerprinted me when Benny was arrested to see if they could look me up in the system.

Which meant he would find out who I am. And trace me back to my brothers. One brother in particular.

I lowered my head seemingly in defeat, and sighed. "My name is Laura. Laura Adams. Please, my mom will be so upset if I get arrested. I promise not to do anything like that again."

He looked at me skeptically before nodding. "Fine, but I'd like to drop you at home. Just to make sure." Make sure of what? But I nodded, seeming compliant. "What's your address?"

I couldn't give him the place I live now, so I went with "465 Mandola Road. But my mom's not home right now, she works two jobs."

He sighed, seeming used to that response. My heart constricted at the thought of going back to that awful house, but I had no choice.

I couldn't give him my real address, and technically do I really live with them?

Marcus didn't seem like he liked me very much; otherwise he would give me time and space to open up.

He helped me into his decaled car and started off. I got lost in happy memories of my mom, and not-so-happy memories of Benny.

I jumped when he said, "We're here." I stared with haunted eyes at the crumbly house in front of me.

I really didn't want to go back there, but I had no choice. I mean, I did, but it was to go live with the people who didn't respect my boundaries, so not really.

I smiled hollowly, thanked the mall cop, and climbed out of his car. I took a deep breath before starting up the cracked concrete driveway and towards the decaying wood steps.

Closing my eyes, I put my shaking hand on the doorknob and turned, cringing at the creak it made.

I did it. I got into the house without having a panic attack.

"Oh, there you are. I was wondering when you'd show up." I screamed, turning back to the door ready to bolt before a large hand pressed on my shoulder and spun me around.

Breathing heavily, I stared, terrified, into dark blue eyes. They looked really familiar.

Marcus. My terror turned into boiling anger and I shoved his hand off of me.

"Get the hell away from me." My voice was ice, not unlike his when he was mad.

He looked at me sadly. "Brooke, I never apologize-"

"Great, then leave," I interrupted brusquely.

"But I'm going to." I raised my eyebrow, skeptical. "I had no business asking you such a personal question. You're right, I have no idea what you went through.

"That's what was killing me. I had no idea how to help you. What I didn't realize is that you didn't want help, you wanted to forget.

"And I brought it all back because...actually, there's no excuse for what I did. Brooke, I am so sorry for everything.

"Pushing you to open up, not respecting your boundaries, bringing...him over. I hate myself for what I did to you. Please, will you forgive me?"

I sighed. "You had your big speech, now it's time for mine. You hurt me, in the worst possible way. I trusted you. Not a whole lot, but enough.

"And you broke that trust and stabbed me in the back. I would have told you everything, when I was ready. You weren't willing to wait, though.

"I forgive you, but-" I held up my hand when he opened his mouth, looking grateful.

"It's going to take a while to trust you again. You're going to have to earn it, I won't just give it out this time. Also, everyone needs to stop with the pity.

"Yeah, I went through some sh!t, but it's over and done. If anyone else looks at me like I'm about to break they're getting punched."

He laughed softly. "Deal," he said, holding out his hand to shake. I studied it, looked into his pleading eyes, and placed my hand in his. I seriously hope I don't regret this.