Chapter 10

A/N y'all I am SO SORRY for not updating.  I hate when authors make excuses so I'll keep this short.  My grandma died and life got a little crazy but I'm back.

Brooke POV

"Aww, they're so cute!"  That must be Michael.

"Let her sleep, she must be exhausted."  Marcus.

"You woke me up to see this?"  And there's Daniel.

I slowly blinked my eyes open and looked around.  I had fallen asleep on Lucas sometime last night.  I hope he didn't mind.  I was on the bed, too. 

I shouldn't be on the bed.  I quickly scrambled off when my mind caught up to my ears and I realized that my brothers are in my room. 

"Good morning," I whispered shyly but formally.  Be polite to your elders. 

"Come on, let's go eat.  You're starting school tomorrow." 

School was my happy place.  It sounds weird, but it was a place I could go to get away from the abuse. 

I enjoyed math and english, which is a weird combination, but whatever. 

My only problem was not being able to do the homework because Benny would leave me too exhausted and in pain to do it. 

A small smile came over my face.  "Sounds good." 

I didn't have any school supplies, but they'd already spent so much money on me I didn't want to ask.  I'd have to figure out a way to get some. 

I followed my brothers downstairs as we went to the kitchen. 

We sat down, and my eyes went large at the breakfast they put in front of me.  I can't eat all this. 

I looked up at Marcus.  "Um, I'm not sure I can eat all this.  Is that ok?" 

He glanced at my plate, frowning.  "It's only three pancakes and some eggs.  Are you not hungry?" 

Not really.  I'm not used to eating more than one small meal a day. 

Obviously I couldn't say that, so I went with "Not really.  I'm not feeling great." 
That was a mistake. 

"Oh no!  What hurts?  What's wrong?  Are you ok?"  Lucas jumped out of his seat and rushed over to me.  "How can I help?" 

I shrank back from his enthusiastic concern, not ready for his sudden movements. 

"Um, it's just my stomach.  I feel a little nauseous."

A/N NO she is not pregnant that is not happening, trust me you feel nauseous when you're overeating.

"Ok, Brooke.  Just eat as much as you can and then go back up to your room.  Michael will come keep you company." 

I didn't have much experience with Michael, but he seemed to be ok.  "Ok," I whispered. 

I curled up with another book; this one was called Redwall. 

Michael came into my room smiling.  "Hey, is that Redwall?  I love that series.  You know, there's 22 books." 

Holy crap, I need to read all of them.  My eyes widened. 

"Do you guys have the whole series?  Is it ok if I read them?  I understand if you don't want me to–"  I stopped when I saw his puzzled frown. 

"Yeah, it's fine if you read them.  It's your house too.  I'll show you the library in a bit." 

A whole room just for books...I have to see that.  I nodded eagerly.  "That sounds amazing.  Thank you!" 

Then I frowned.  "But I can't leave my room, how are we supposed to do that?" 

"I'll talk to Marcus.  This punishment isn't fair, I don't think you're lying.  And even if you are, it's none of our business because you barely know us.  I don't blame you for not blurting out your secrets." 

Then he muttered something under his breath, I could barely hear it. 

"It's not like we're not hiding something." 

"I appreciate it Michael, but I don't want you to get in trouble for me.  Don't worry about it."

"I won't get in trouble for that.  I'm just asking him, there's no reason to get punished for that." 

Yeah, well, last time I asked Benny permission for something it didn't end well.

TW: Abuse

I was 13.  There was a field trip with my science class to the aquarium. 

I had never seen a dolphin in person before, so I really wanted to go.  I was scared to ask Benny though. 

Taking a deep breath, I slowly walked through the front door with the field trip brochure clutched in my hand.  "S-sir?  Can I t-talk to you?" 

"What the HELL do you want, slut?"  I flinched.  It really hurt when he called me that. 

"M-my class is taking a field trip to the aquarium.  May I go?"

"You don't deserve a trip.  You can't go."

"But Sir, I really really want to go."  I shouldn't have pushed him.

"ARE YOU CONTRADICTING ME?  HOW DARE YOU!"  I started backing away slowly, but he came after me. 

I ran into my room and he followed.  I was cornered.  He advanced, a wicked grin on his face. 

Suddenly, a warm liquid ran down my face and finally the pain registered. 

He punched me.  A kick to my ribs made me double over and I groaned. 

I guess I wasn't going to school tomorrow.  He left me alone after 15 minutes, but that was 15 minutes too long. 

After that, I never asked permission for anything, because I knew what his answer would be. 

I curled up on my thin mattress, trying to ignore the voice calling for me. 

"Brooke...Brooke!  Brooke?  Hey, snap out of it!"

I snapped back to reality, shaking violently.  Michael had his hands on my shoulders and was looking intently into my haunted eyes. 

"I don't mean to quote Daniel, but what the hell was that, Brooke?  It looked really scary."

"It's nothing.  I didn't mean to worry you.  I'm ok."

"Brooke, you're not ok.  You're literally shaking.  If you don't tell me what's going on, I'm getting Marcus." 

I flinched, but he didn't notice it since I covered it by shaking my head vigorously. 

I knew in my head that Marcus wouldn't hurt me, but I was on high alert at the moment and didn't want to deal with another large scary man.

"It was just a flashback of Mom.  I really miss her.  I keep seeing her dying and me not being able to do anything." 

He studied my tear-filled eyes and nodded his head, seeming to believe my half-lie.  I do have dreams about her, just not this time.

"Alright Brooke.  Why don't you relax?  I'll bring you the next Redwall book.  You can read until lunch."