Surprise

Just like much of their relationship, Tyler and Wednesday's discovery that they were going to have a baby was, well, a bit unconventional.

To be fair, there had been a couple months of madness leading up to the discovery, which meant that they were more distracted than they might normally be.

Tylers café was trying to get a couple new products launched in a fairly short time frame, which meant working more overtime than normal. Wednesdays lab had made some big discoveries, and she had gotten a promotion. They had repainted several rooms in their house, and then their older cat, Masha, had gotten sick and needed several emergency vet visits before she finally started recovering.

So Wednesday hadn't really thought much of it when she was getting tired more easily than normal, because of course she was tired and in need of a break. The weight gain was so minimal as to hardly be noticed at all, and when she had caught on it had been written off as being from stress eating at work. The slightly sore back- well, she was on her feet a lot at work. It made sense.

It wasn't until she had felt ill at the smell of the morgue - the morgue!- that Wednesday started thinking that something might be up. And even after that, it had taken Tyler pointing out that they had gone off birth control several months prior after deciding that they were ready for kids and it was entirely possible that she was pregnant for her to even think of it. A home test ended up positive, and the next week they were headed in to the doctor to confirm it and find out how far along Wednesday was.

She had suspected that she was probably two months along, maybe three. It would have been easy enough to miss the signs for a month or two, what with how insane her life had been.

"Actually, it looks like you're a bit over four and a half months along."

Wednesday was pretty certain that her jaw had hit the floor. "Four- four and a half?"

"How- but wouldn't she be showing?" Tyler asked, looking just as flabbergasted as Wednesday felt. "Or- I don't know that much about pregnancy, but..."

Their OBGYN smiled at that. "Many people would be, yes. Wednesday appears to have very strong stomach muscles, so those are holding your baby back and keeping it from pushing out as far. You'll likely be pretty small throughout your pregnancy."

Tyler and Wednesday exchanged a look as the doctor adjusted the wand over her belly. She whispered "Runs in my family" and he nodded in acknowledgement.

They had known that all the running, swinging, and leaping that they had started doing during the whole Hyde incident around the town put them in fantastic shape, and they had made sure that they were going out for at least a short run at least three times a week to make their rounds of the town, no matter how busy they got. They definitely hadn't suspected that Wednesday would have such strong abs that it would hide a pregnancy.

"Your baby isn't in the right position at the moment, so I can't tell if you're going to have a boy or a girl quite yet," the doctor continued. "And we have to cover a whole slew of tests and information yet, so that's just going to have to wait for the next appointment."

"That's fine!" Wednesday said quickly, still in slight shock. "Yeah, we probably have several appointments' worth of testing and info to catch up on, don't we?"

The rest of their appointment went by in a rush, and then they were setting up a second appointment and on their way back out the door, a packet of information and a list of books to read tucked under Tyler's arm as they took the bus back to their appointment.

"So the pregnancy is halfway over already," Tyler commented as they flopped down on their couch after getting home from the appointment. He reached out and gave Masha a fond pat as she jumped up next to them. She purred and pushed her head into his hand. "Four and a half months. Wow."