Announcement

As the grandparents-to-be who would definitely be the most fun to tell, Gomez and Morticia were the first on Tyler and Wednesday's list of people to share the news with.

It wasn't long before an opportunity to share the news presented itself in the form of their weekly Saturday night dinner with the elder Addams. It was Tyler and Wednesday's turn to host, too, which was perfect.

The cake was made the night before, baked and then assembled, with the center carved out and filled with a little surprise that would spill out as soon as the first slice was removed, and the grandparents-to-be would surely notice. If they started suspected something after Tyler's bun in the oven joke, the cake would confirm it.

"Hello, you two," Gomez said cheerfully as Tyler ushered his mother and father-in-law into the apartment. "Especially you my little rain cloud! Have you had a good week?"

"It was- well, busy," Wednesday admitted with a hint of a smile. "More stuff happening than we expected, but it was good. And yours?"

As Gomez started to tell his daughter about a particularly insane situation that he and Morticia had had to deal with, Tyler headed back into the kitchen to get dinner finished up. He loved these weekend dinners, and it was great that they were able to do them so often, considering that Wednesday's parents generally ate early thanks to their work hours and he and Wens usually had dinner later on, after they got home from their respective jobs.

But on Saturdays Gomez and Morticia didn't have work, and Tyler and Wednesday didn't need to be up early the next morning as the café and lab were closed on Sundays. They didn't need to rush through their time together, which was lovely.

On the (fairly rare) occasion when they actually managed to have dinner with his father- they tried for once a month, normally, and about half the time the dinners didn't actually end up happening- his father was always distracted, clearly trying to get through the dinner so he could go back to whatever it was that he had been doing. There was a perfunctory exchange of questions about what the other party had been up to, and then awkward silence as they ate.

It was the complete opposite of the Addams dinners, where they happily chatted about anything and everything until they had to leave.

In the kitchen, the soup was bubbling away on the stove merrily and it smelled fantastic. Tyler gave it one good stir, then caught the timer for the oven right before it was about to go off.

Once glance in the oven told him that the buns were probably done, so he carefully pulled the tray out, very deliberately pulling one of the buns off and tossing it back in the oven before making the sheet clatter enough to make it sound like he had bumped the tray on the way out.

After all, they couldn't make things too easy for Mr. and Mrs. Addams to figure out. They just wanted to get Wednesday's parents wondering for the time being.

"Everything all right?" Morticia called.

"Yeah, just bumped the bun tray as I was taking it out of the oven," Tyler called back, settling the tray down on the counter. He winked at Wednesday as she came into the kitchen. "No big problem."

Wednesday bent down and re-opened the oven, grabbing an oven mitt as she did. "Ty, there's a bun in the oven still."

"A bun in the oven? Whoops!" Tyler exclaimed, holding the tray out for Wednesday to put the (poor, abused, but very useful) bun on. "Sorry, I must have knocked it off accidentally."