Oblivious

Wednesday's grandmother was officially the most oblivious person that Tyler had met, and that was saying something, considering- well, considering that technically, he knew himself.

She had completely missed all talk of buns in the oven. She hadn't spotted the pile of in-progress baby clothes that Wednesday had left on the armrest of their couch.

Gomez and Morticia had mentioned their experiments with different versions of the rattle sprinkles, and there wasn't so much as a blink.

Tyler mentioned his difficulties putting together the crib to Gomez, who agreed to help him look it over, and she mused about the first time she had volunteered on an international house-building team and how she had struggled to learn how to use the different power tools there.

...Tyler gave up, really. Wednesday's grandmother was lovely and clearly cared for her granddaughter and was very there, but it seemed like she wasn't always listening to what other people were saying.

Finally, Wednesday decided to go in for the kill and ask her grandma what baby clothing styles were in the different countries that she had visited.

She still didn't catch on.

"Oh, it varies so much," she told Wednesday right away. "Most people just go for the typical onesies, and then tiny pants or skirts once they're a little older. But some people go for a bit of local flair- are you doing a line of baby clothing at work? That's so cute!"

Wednesday sent Tyler a Look. Tyler winced.

Okay, he so owed Wednesday a back rub. He had bet that her grandma wasn't as oblivious as Wednesday thought, and, well, clearly he was very, very wrong.

She probably deserved one back rub for each hint that her grandmother missed, honestly.

"I should show you some of the photos I took of these Guatemalan babies- they were dressed just like their mommas. I could not believe the embroidery on their little outfits- it was absolutely exquisite.

I don't have the pictures on me, but I can send them to you," Wednesday's grandmother assured Wednesday. "And I can send you any other pictures that I find. It might take a bit, though, I have so many photos."

"I'm sure, grandmother," Wednesday managed before her grandmother was off again.

"I did see this one baby once- I didn't get a picture, because not all moms allow it- but she was dressed in the most ridiculous outfit for a baby that size. All ruffles and snaps and floppy bits and it had to be so hard to wash. It was cute! But not practical at all. So Wednesday, when your team is designing baby outfits, tell them that they have to think of the practical aspects, too. There aren't all sorts of bits and bobs on normal baby outfits for a reason."

Tyler tried not to laugh at the look Gomez and Morticia were exchanging behind Wens grandmothers back.

They finally got through dinner and Wednesday and Tyler cleared the table. They retreated to the kitchen to get the plates loaded into the dishwasher and to have a bit of a conversation while they had a bit of privacy.

"I told you that she was oblivious," Wednesday said as she handed rinsed plates down to Tyler for him to load. "I mean, what else can we do? My parents are going to go ga-ga over the cupcakes once those get out and it's not like those were subtle at all, so it won't be a secret after that, but..."

"We can share the news about the house hunt," Tyler pointed out. "I mean, we obviously wouldn't be looking for an house with another room for our cats. It's worth a shot," he added when Wednesday's expression turned dubious. "And if not, her reaction when she figures out all of the hints that she's been missing has got to be pretty funny."