Expresso || Yata

( female reader x Yata, requested via dm!)

"Y/N!"

You whip around at the sound of your name behind the coffee shop counter, your hair wistfully flailing in the wind. You held a cup in one hand and an electric kettle of hot water in the other.

A familiar face smiled back, which made you beam in return.

Your face couldn't help lighting up to see an infamous inspectors assistant. Your heart flutters too, just by how he happily yelled your name.

You couldn't help smiling.

"Yata!"

...

You slide into booth just at the beginning of your break with two drinks in hand. Ahead of you, two men were patiently waiting. One americano and one caramel cappuccino.

You gleamed an smile as you hand the drinks and sat yourself down. A perfectly timed break.

"So," you shimmy with excitement.
"Gimme the scoop!"

Yata seemed more than happy to.

"Inspector Zenigata just got note of Lupin the Third saying he will be stealing from a private gallery within the tallest sky scraper in the city."
Yata says as he takes off the drinks cap.

"Problem is, the tallest tower all have various private galleries and items, not all that the police knows about." Zenigata butts in as Yata takes a moment to blow his steaming drink.
"So it's hard to find out which one."

Zenigata shows his work phone to you, showing a text from a fledging thief.

"In one of the galleries,
The tallest of towers,
I will be there
To steal a flower!
- Lupin the Third"

You lift a brow at the inspector.
"Lupin ...texts you?"

The inspector acts embarrassed and flustered.
"O-Occasionally."

"So, do you have any idea!?" Yata asks intensely. His eyes gleamed with a persistent wonder.

Last few times you've given the detectives help, it's led them straight to the thief, though you're not sure how. Half of the time, it's knowledge of the cities history or random things you knew, and other times, it's pure luck.

"Ah... Lemme think.." you mutter.

The others stare off to think as well.

You glance outside the window to see the bystanders passing by, some waiting at the bus stop beside your city coffee shop.

A tall skinny man in a red jacket stood with his back turned away. Complimentary, he wore a bright yellow cap and toyed with a yellow umbrella just as bright. He fiddled with his umbrella at the bus stop, practically danced with it like a 1950s looney. The two clashing colors shared a warm aesthetic that dashed away quickly as he came once the bus arrived.

Yellow and red.
Gold and Red—!

"The Rosette Stone!"
You fingers snapped at the realization.
Thank you grandpa for your knowledge on stones and weird jewelry.

The inspector was drilling holes through your skull with his eyes beckoning for answer. Nothing to worry, you had an explanation ready about the rare yellow tourmaline and red beryl gems being mashed, fused, and artistically crafted to be flower shaped.