Bolt Trouble

His eyes may have only darted between the board and his book, but whoever thought Damian Desmond is intently listening to his professor is absolutely wrong.

Anya Forger. One time, they were in a heated discussion in the locker hallway, the next it felt like he was in cloud nine walking her to class — them officially friends.

As his mind processed their sudden closeness, a quiz was announced, startling the peaceful quietness of Cecile Hall. Thanks to due diligence, this surprise quiz did not faze him. It is different, however, for the rest of the class.

"Tsk," George Glooman muttered, barely containing himself. The scion couldn't fault him — their most boring teacher decided to give a graded quiz on the most boring subject at the sleepiest time of the day — a torture for any student. More so when failing to pass the quiz requires them to take it over and over until they get a passing score. Or a tonitrus bolt awaits.

"Becky," Anya's worried voice reached Damian's ears, his eyes automatically tracking its source.

"Don't worry, Anya! I managed a few notes. We can do this!" Becky encouraged. Her best friend's face brightened.

"Mhm!" Anya responded, pumping her fists.

Damian then tore his eyes from the two. Becky Blackbell may be insufferable but she's an encouraging friend, he'll give her that.

He turned to Ewen and Emile. "Alright, let's start our study group."

"But Bossman, don't you like studying on your own?" Ewen said.

"Yeah, aren't you able to focus more when alone?" Emile added.

"Yes. But we can work like usual—"

"Then you'd be fine without us, Bossman."

Ewen and Emile stood, puzzling Damian. How his friends looked surprisingly disinterested is an anomaly, for they usually clamor to hear a piece of his wisdom. And were they not in speaking terms just recently?

Damian raised his brows at them, his arms crossed.

"You two have been acting strangely today. Explain to me your deal. NOW," he addressed them matter-of-factly. The two jerked, realizing they have irked their Bossman, and did as they were told.

"Nothing, Bossman! It's just that Ewen and I realized that we shouldn't be fighting over a girl," Emile said.

"We're friends even though rivals in love. If anyone understands what we've been going through, it's us. That's why we have decided to do things," Ewen turned to Emile with raised fists, "Together."

"And may the best man win!" Emile replied with a grin, bumping fists with his friend.

"Ooooookay.... So you're good now. And no longer need my help, I take it?" Damian responded unimpressed, his eyes drawing to a pair of small dots.

"Yes, Bossman. And you have been a great friend to us, helping us pass every test. But this time..."

"We want to be the ones to help those who struggle." Emile and Ewen said, finishing each other's sentences. They shook hands before Damian, heads bobbing lightly in understanding. As Damian tried to process their weird antics, they prepared themselves to leave.

"Well, we have someone to help. We'll see you later, Bossman," Emile said.

"Later," Ewen waved.

Damian's puzzled gaze followed the two as they went to their destination. Those two... How could they ditch me like this?! As he watched them descend the hall, he finally realized what they're planning to do.