Defeated

Damian went back to his dorm mulling over the events of that day, repeatedly feeling electrified.

I almost kissed Anya Forger.

It was a weird day of finally getting cozy with an existence that he loathed in Eden all this time. Pretended to loathe, actually. Well, at least now he's acknowledging this deeply-repressed truth.

Damian gathered his friends to his room, unsurprised by the coffee they offer him from their infuriatingly disruptive stroll that unbeknownst to them hindered the highlight of his day. He sat on his chair, his right leg over his left. Before him were his friends, their eyes on the ground.

"So, about what happened today..."

Oh, the many things that happened today. No, he's not bringing up the one between him and Anya.

"You two. How was the 'courting' going?"

Ewen was first to speak. "Anya refused the rose."

"And Anya refused the truffles," Emile added.

"Hmmm. In short, she turned you down," Damian said. His friends sadly nodded.

"I don't get it. I am fine with her being a commoner. I will proudly introduce her to every single Egeburg."

"And I will let her meet every Elman in the continent and show her to every one of our friends without regard to stupid social status!"

For a while there, Damian felt jealous of his friends. Knowing their parents, having a relationship with a commoner is not at all impossible. And the resolve they have just declared...

I wish I could say that too.

"We're so jealous of you, Bossman. It finally made sense. Blackbell is right."

Damian's eyes squinted, his head tilting to the side in a confused expression. "What do you mean?"

"Sorry, Bossman! We've been so blind! We should never have tried our luck on Anya!"

"We never meant to overtake your efforts!"

So Blackbell told them her stupid hunch. And it never was far from the truth.

"Forger's always been a friend despite everything. And I don't like how you look at her," Damian said.

"We're so sorry, Bossman! Taking out her weirdness, she's grown into a fine lady. You surely can't blame us for noticing her. I guess her father has really guided her well."

Ah. Mr. Forger, the ideal father. He did promise to make her a lady, that afternoon in the courtyard when they were little. And that, he did.

"We promise to support your every efforts if you decide to ask her out, Bossman!"

Damian was perplexed. "Huh?! She's a commoner!"

"So what do you do now? What if someone else gets between you, like what happened to us? Just gonna glare at them, then keep Anya single?"

"Your words, Emile! It's not like I like her!" Damian denied with a face that burned red like glowing coal. Ewen and Emile shot each other a look of understanding.

"You're a walking contradiction when it comes to Anya, bossman. You clearly like her. How have we been so blind?" Ewen's hand flew to his head.

"Surprised you've hidden it for so long, though we had an inkling that that's the case," Emile said. "Why does bossman ignore all the girls who expressed their admiration to him but would hurry to the despicable Anya Forger when she cries?  Why does he even bother to give her something randomly?"

Ewen patted Emile. "And he discreetly checks her out too, I noticed. Come to think of it, I actually had a hunch too. But I couldn't get myself to confront you about it."

"Me too, I would never question you, bossman. But the truth has finally revealed itself." Emile crossed his arms. "Anya was never your archenemy."

Ewen nodded. "Yeah. She's your first love."

"Wha— Shut it!" Damian buried his face in his hands. Ewen and Emile chuckled, greatly content with their deduction.

"It's fine, Bossman. No need to hide it. You can be yourself with us," Ewen assured.

True, Damian thought. If there's anything good with him being discovered, it's the fact that he doesn't have to pretend any longer before his friends.

Ewen raised his legs on the couch. "Guess you fumed when you found out about the bet."

Damian looked daggers at the him. "Oh yeah, thank you for reminding," moving his eyes to Emile. "I did not like how you looked at her and I am warning you if I ever catch you doing that again."

Ewen and Emile shivered and apologized profusely.

"H-How about we make it up to you by helping you with your plans? You should ask her out!" Emile proposed.

"Of course! We'll be your trusty wingmen! When do you plan to ask her out, bossman?" Ewen asked.

These two, prodding him to take Anya out and confess his feelings?! Idiots!

"Listen, I appreciate it but I..." Damian swallowed and then sighed heavily. "I just want to keep her close. Treat her as a friend, really, without pretense. Keep bantering — because that's our thing. Maybe we can have more of our own things..."

Damian then clasped his hands, his eyes falling sullen.

"But beyond that, to be honest — I don't know. I'm a Desmond. Maybe it's not possible."

Ugh. It hurts to say it but it is what it is. Damian clutched on his chest, as if pained by the thought.

"Ha!" Emile exhaled loudly, sharply, taking his friends' attention. "Bossman, don't give up easily! I'm telling you — you've got competition. Rumors say Anya is next to Blackbell in the Waifu poll."

Ewen nodded. "Yeah. She'll be asked out on Valentine's Day, I'm sure of it."

"Huh! For sure." Emile shot Damian a look. "This is one of the rare times you are wrong, bossman. You and Anya will never be easy, but it has always been possible. Stop using your surname as an excuse!"

His surname as an excuse?

Damian shot up from his seat, gritting his teeth. What do they expect him to do, go ahead without regard, and be bombed by his father for ruining their family's golden reputation?! That aside...

"It's not just that, okay?" Damian replied in a frustrated tone. His fingers crawled from his forehead to the top of his head, grasping and scrunching his moss-colored hair.

"The damage has been done! I've been mean to her ever since! I know she's being nice to me now, but we all know she's just naturally kind! I wouldn't be surprised if she secretly hates me! I don't think I stand a chance after all that I've done..."

Damian dropped himself limply on the couch. He rested his elbows on his knees, eyes shut and head dangling listless on his neck.

It was so ironic to his friends how the Damian Desmond, admired and adored by every living soul in Eden Academy, had too little faith in himself.

His friends couldn't help but let out a heavy sigh.

~~~~~