White Day

Damian could easily get his coffee somewhere and skip the long lines in this weird, crappy, haphazardly built cafe (to his standards) that is quite out of place in such a prestigious school, but he ended up there anyway. This so-called costume cafe was the initiative of some Eden student for humanitarian reasons, taking advantage of the occasion — White Day. The servers are student volunteers from Eden Academy who agreed to wear the costume masterpieces of Olaf Otowski, the famous Ostanian costume designer and grand sponsor of the event. The costumes were no less than his best masterpieces in his lifetime. And it so happens that one of the servers is a certain girl, according to rumors.

And if she's there, he will be as well. At least now he could admit that to himself. That's why he'd stand there for a drink even though he's 20th. However, several minutes into that line and he still hasn't caught even a glimpse of her.

RING!

When he was 12th, a shrilly bell rung. Wondering what that meant, he observed the counter in front and noticed that the person taking orders excused herself and left. So the ring signals that roles will change, he thought. He rolled his eyes however as he saw the replacement.

Becky Blackbell, of all people, and to his horror. He could only pray that the bell rings before his turn.

~~~~~

Almost an hour has passed... Now he's 5th. Almost there.

"Hello, Happy White Day. What is it for you?" Becky replied nonchalantly at the guy in front.

Becky's get up did not escape Damian's notice. It was some fairy champagne gown with flowers. She had a wand which she seemed to have fun swaying around. Emile leaned toward him and Ewen making him jerk a little (he was so occupied in his thoughts he forgot his friends were beside him).

"Becky's is the floral earth fairy queen costume priced at five hundred thousand dalc," Emile said, pointing at the brochure he held. Damian looked at his own brochure which he had forgotten in his hand.

"Quite the price, for a server," Ewen answered.

"Alright, here's your drink! Enjoy!" The three heard Becky as she pushed the tray to the guy in front of her.

"Thank you! This is for you!" the guy handed a heart-shaped present with his two-hands.

"Oh? Thank you," Becky said. "Martha..."

"As you wish, mistress."

Martha collected the heart-shaped present the guy gave and dusted it with a clean cloth. The guy happily left the line with his drink, while Becky took the order of the girls that followed. Terrible service, he thought to himself. Damian can't wait for the bell to ring. Luck be in his side and the server for him would be Forger. What's the bell's ringing interval anyway? And why is there still no sign of her? Was Anya finished? Or are the rumours false?

"Oh, wait!" Emile gasped audibly, drawing Damian and Ewen's attention. "I saw her! White, red, and pink. That's her, I'm sure!"

Ewen and Damian flinched to the direction he pointed. There was a corridor with an archway. Its sides were covered by portable wall dividers, with a room connected to the side. They saw the end of what seemed to be a floor length gown, the edge of long pink tresses disappearing once their heads turned.

What was Anya's costume? Was she a fairy too, just like Blackbell? Damian's heartbeat picked up.

"I'd go and check," Emile said, sprinting as fast as he could. Ewen and Damian watched to hold their place in the line when they saw him mouthing 'excuse me', then happily conversing with someone as he scratched his head, his cheeks red.