Generating Ideas

"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot."
 - Stephen King

Welcome, Creators! It's the start of a new year, and the perfect time to make a start on your writing goals! Whether you're a new writer or a seasoned pro, we'd like to invite you along on a year-long writing journey. We'll be posting weekly updates with writing insights, inspiration, and writing prompts to help you get your stories into the hands of readers all over the world!

Let's take this month to start mapping out your story. The first step is to start generating an idea. Maybe you're already bursting with ideas, and are ready to go - that's great! But if you're struggling to come up with something you want to write about, set aside an hour and try the following writing exercise.

Choose one or two books that you love, and write a short summary, including setting, characters, and main plot points. Now try changing one significant aspect of the story, and map out how the story changes. What if the story was narrated from a different point of view? What if it was set in a different country, or time period? Choose a scene that you know well, and rewrite it, using your own words, with the changes you've made. Use your imagination, play around with the story and see where it takes you. Staring at a blank page can be intimidating, so using an existing plot and working from there often helps to spark the imagination and get our creative juices flowing!

Need more ideas? You can find a list of writing prompts on the Creators Portal—these are a great resource to use whenever you feel you need a boost of creativity!

Happy writing!