Genre Spotlight: Romance

Hello, Creators! As Valentine's Day approaches, we're going to talk about one of Wattpad's most popular genres: romance! Romance stories have huge appeal—readers have always loved the intrigue and drama baked into the genre.

If you're looking to write a romance, there are two essential rules that you have to follow 1) the story follows the development of a central romantic relationship, and 2) the story has an optimistic or happy ending where the couple gets together. If your romance doesn't have an ending that leaves your readers feeling all the mushy feels, then it's no longer a romance and most likely falls into a different genre. Wattpad romances often feature relatable characters and deal with themes that resonate with readers, such as love, heartbreak, and self-discovery.

Under the massive umbrella that is the romance genre, there is a huge array of subgenres and tropes. Bad Boy, Billionaire, Sports, Enemies to Lovers, Fake Dating and Forced Proximity are all massively popular and have huge followings on the platform. Additionally, romance writers use their story tags incredibly effectively to signal to readers the subgenre and tropes used in the story so fans can easily find exactly what they're looking for. But, don't be limited by these popular genres, you can also explore new and unique sub-genres and bring new twists to age-old romance tropes.

A crucial factor in romance is the setting: romance is all about escapism, so you want to place your characters in an immersive setting that complements the story. A contemporary romance might be set in a small town, a quaint fishing village, or a university campus. Or it might centre around a neighbourhood spot within a big bustling city where the main characters can't help but bump into one another (think local bakery or coffee shop). A historical or fantasy romance might take place in a less cozy, more dangerous setting; but external threats and conflicts can draw the main characters closer.

A crucial moment that features heavily in romance must have is the "Meet-Cute." A meet-cute is a hook used to quickly introduce two characters and set up their romantic relationship. A meet-cute can be awkward, or embarrassing, or can be filled with animosity. A Meet Cute can occur in an infinite number of ways, so long as there's something cutesy about it. On Wattpad, we know that the sooner the lovers come face to face, the better. They don't have to get together right away – they don't even have to like each other right away – but they must meet.

Here's a fun writing exercise to practice perfecting your own meet-cute:

Step 1: Choose two characters who will be the main romantic leads in your story.

Step 2: Decide on an unusual or unexpected setting for them to meet. For example, it could be a train station, an airplane, a bookstore, a crowded street, etc.

Step 3: Write a scene in which your two characters meet for the first time in this setting.

Step 4: Pay attention to the details of the setting and the characters' actions, thoughts and dialogue. Make sure their first meeting is both amusing and charming.

Step 5: Add conflicts or obstacles that will make it difficult for them to be together, and have them argue or have misunderstandings to make their relationship feel more realistic.

Happy writing!