Characterize Your Characters

Hello, Creators! 

There's an old saying that goes, "you only get one chance at a first impression." This proverb absolutely applies to the first time your readers meet your characters. You want your character to be memorable and sticky. Don't you get excited when you can see and hear a character leap off the page? There is a fine balance to introducing your character effectively. Lots of writers have trouble introducing their characters, including their protagonist, into the story. It's hard to know which details should you include and with to avoid. Here are a few tips to make your character jump out of your story and into your reader's minds by giving your characters specific and memorable traits.

Introduce your characters one at a time

As a reader, it can be difficult to feel connected to a character if you are introduced to too many at the same time. You would feel overwhelmed if you were introduced to four characters at once, as opposed to getting to know them a little bit one at a time. It's best to give your characters some space when introducing them in your story. Give each character their own moment to have their personality shine through. This way, the reader will feel connected in some way to each of your characters.

Quality over quantity

Don't tell the reader every single detail about your character's physical or psychological state. Instead, pick a few details that are specific to that character. Be bold with those few details, make them really stand out. It can be about the way they walk, or the way they dress, or the language they use. Maybe the character is doing something odd or trying to do something difficult at the moment they are being introduced. Have some fun when picking out these few key details, this will make them more memorable to your readers.

Show, Don't Tell

This is an idea that we are going to come back to later in the year, but when introducing your characters, it's always a good idea to show the reader what your characters are like as opposed to telling them. "She was sad," is telling. "Her eyes watered, but she tried as hard as she could to hold back the tears," is showing. By forcing your character to outwardly express their emotions in the form of actions, you are showing the reader your character's personality. Showing keeps readers actively engaged because they need to think about what they're reading and why the character is feeling the way they are feeling. Showing your readers emotional details draws them in and keeps them scrolling through your story.

Happy writing!