Complex and Compelling Protagonists

Hello, Creators!

When you think about your favourite stories, what aspects of that story come to mind immediately? Often it's the characters in the story who make the biggest impact on us as readers. The characters are the lens through which your readers will experience your story, and writing a well-rounded, relatable protagonist can be the key to hooking readers and keeping them engaged.

The protagonist is the most important character in your story. Harry Potter, Katniss Everdeen, and Sherlock Holmes are all examples of complex and compelling protagonists. This is the character you want your readers to root for. The readers should be motivated to keep up with your story to see what the protagonist is doing in order to achieve their goal. But what makes a protagonist compelling and complex? Here are a few tips for creating a strong protagonist:

Give your protagonist a clear goal or desire

What does your protagonist want or need? This could be something as simple as wanting to win a competition; or as complex as wanting to find their place in the world. Whatever it is, make sure it's clear to the reader, and that it drives the actions of your protagonist throughout the story. Another helpful tip is to make the protagonist's goal/desire hard to obtain or achieve. Obstacles can make your story more exciting!

Make your protagonist relatable

One of the best ways to get readers to care about your protagonist is to make them relatable by showing emotions. Emotions are universal—we all experience joy, anger, and sadness. Give your protagonist reasons to get emotional. The more relatable your protagonist is, the more invested readers will be in their journey.

Give your protagonist flaws

No one is perfect, and giving your protagonist flaws can make them more realistic and relatable. These flaws can also play a role in the story and contribute to the protagonist's growth and development.

Make your protagonist active

A passive protagonist who simply reacts to events rather than taking action can be frustrating for readers. Give your protagonist agency and make them an active participant in the story. They should be driving the action and making things happen, rather than simply reacting to what's going on around them.

Remember, the protagonist is the driving force of your story, so take the time to develop a well-rounded and compelling character that readers will root for. Following along as your protagonist attempts to accomplish their goals by overcoming their obstacles is an excellent way to keep readers invested in your protagonist and their journey.

Happy writing!