Inciting Incidents

Hello Creators! 

Today, we're going to talk about a crucial moment in storytelling that can make or break your story—the Inciting Incident. This is the moment when everything changes for your protagonist and sets the rest of the plot in motion. It's the first domino to fall, and the event that your protagonist will be trying to resolve throughout the story.

Before we discuss what makes a good Inciting Incident, let's look at what is not an Inciting Incident. An inciting incident is not simply the background information of the story. It's not the setting, the character's backstory, or a montage of events leading up to the story. While these elements are important to setting the scene, they're not what sets the plot in motion. An inciting incident is not an ordinary day in the protagonist's life, either. It's not simply waking up, brushing your teeth, and going to work. This type of scene might provide context and characterization, but it's not what sets the rest of the story in motion.

So, how do you pick the perfect moment to start your story? Think about the moment when everything changes for your protagonist. In a romantic comedy, it could be the moment when the two main characters first meet, and in a sci-fi story, it could be the moment of first contact with aliens. The key is to make sure that the Inciting Incident matches the tone and scope of your story and sets the conditions for the rest of the plot to happen.

The Inciting Incident should grab the reader's attention and create a sense of urgency right from the start. It should make it clear that your protagonist's life has changed and that they'll be going on a journey to resolve the conflict.

Here is a checklist to help you make sure you're using the right moment for your inciting incident:

Is it Immediate? A good Inciting Incident should happen right at the start of your story. This creates a sense of immediacy and grabs the reader's attention right from the beginning.

Does it change everything? The Inciting Incident should cause a drastic change in the protagonist's life and set the rest of the plot in motion. It should make it clear that the protagonist's life will never be the same again.

Does it set the tone? The Inciting Incident should set the tone for the rest of the story. If your story is a thriller, the Inciting Incident should be thrilling. If it's a comedy, it should be funny. It should match the overall tone of the story.

Does it raise questions? The Inciting Incident should raise questions in the reader's mind and make them want to know more. It should make the reader curious about what's going to happen next.

Is it memorable? The Inciting Incident should be memorable and stick with the reader. It should be the moment that they remember when they think about your story.

Happy writing!