Hook

Hello, Creators! Today we're diving into one of the most essential parts of storytelling: the hook. The hook is a simple concept: it's the scene or sequence that draws the reader into the world of the story. Typically, the hook introduces the reader to the main character or establishes the setting where the story takes place. It's the first event that happens in a story, the first thing a character faces, and the first thing a reader reads.

But we also use story hooks in our everyday lives. When you're talking to your friends and start a story with "You'll never believe what happened!", what you're essentially doing is hooking your audience. They expect something exciting to have occurred, and because they're emotionally invested in you and your life, they want to hear about it.

At Wattpad, we know that the most successful stories on the platform are those that hook the reader in the very first chapter. The first 1-2% of your story should be devoted to the hook. Don't wait to deploy it; throw your readers into the deep end right away.

The primary function of the hook is to get your readers to keep reading, so you need to get them emotionally invested in the story in the first few pages. One effective way to do this is to put your characters in an emotional situation and describe how their emotions manifest in their thoughts, feelings, and actions. If your characters show emotions or go through something emotional, there's a better chance your readers will connect with them and become emotionally invested in their journey. If you want your readers to respond emotionally to your story, give your characters something emotional to respond to!

It doesn't have to be the most dramatic moment of the entire plot, but by having your story open with a situation that emotionally impacts your characters, you'll emotionally impact your reader. In chapter 1, if you're writing a romance, you should have sparks fly between your lovers. If you're writing horror, terrify your characters. Having your characters feel something or face something will trigger a similar emotional response in your reader, who will now be emotionally invested in your characters.

Here's a helpful exercise to master your story's hook:

Things you'll need:

A protagonist

Their goal (i.e. the thing they want; for this exercise, the goal will also serve as the plot of your story)

Pro-tip: Make the goal simple. They want to find a long-lost object, win a competition, or slay the antagonist. Make the goal something readers can instantly recognize as soon as the character achieves it.

The stakes (i.e. the negative consequences that will happen if the character doesn't achieve their goal)

Exercise:

Write a short rough draft or an outline for the first chapter of a story that ends in a cliffhanger. Introduce the character and their goal by putting the protagonist in a situation that forces them to express emotions. Remember, if you want your readers to respond emotionally to your story, give your characters something emotional to respond to!

Happy writing!