Antagonists, Lovers, and BFFs

Hello, Creators! 

As a writer, you might be focused on creating a compelling protagonist, but don't forget about the secondary characters that help shape your story. Secondary characters like antagonists, love interests, and BFFs can add depth and complexity to your story, making it more interesting and engaging for your readers. In this post, we'll explore how to write these secondary characters, and discuss why they are so important.

Antagonists

An antagonist is a character who opposes the protagonist and creates conflict in the story. They can be a villain, an obstacle, or a rival to the protagonist. To create a compelling antagonist, it's important to understand their motivations and backstory. What drives them to oppose the protagonist? What events in their life led them to this point? By answering these questions, you can create a well-rounded antagonist that readers will find interesting.

One common mistake young writers make when creating antagonists is making them one-dimensional. An antagonist who is evil just for the sake of being evil is not interesting. Instead, give your antagonist a reason for their actions. Maybe they're seeking revenge for a past wrong, or maybe they're trying to protect someone they love. Whatever their motivation, make it clear to the reader so that they understand the character's actions.

Love Interests

A love interest is a character who is romantically involved with the protagonist. To create an engaging love interest, it's important to make them more than just a pretty face. Give them their own backstory, motivations, and flaws. Make sure they have their own goals and dreams that aren't solely focused on the protagonist.

One thing to keep in mind when writing a love interest is to avoid falling into the trope of the "perfect" love interest. Nobody is perfect, and your readers will find it difficult to relate to a character who has no flaws. Instead, give your love interest flaws and challenges to overcome.

It's also important to make sure your love interest is not simply there to serve the protagonist's needs. They should have their own agency and motivations, even if they are secondary to the main plot.

BFFs

BFFs are characters who are close friends with the protagonist. They can provide emotional support, comic relief, or serve as a sounding board for the protagonist. To create an engaging BFF, it's important to give them their own personality and backstory. They should have their own motivations and goals, even if they are secondary to the main plot.

A crucial mistake to avoid is tokenizing your BFF character. Tokenism is the practice of including a character solely to represent a marginalized group, without giving them a meaningful role in the story. It's important to remember that characters of all backgrounds and identities should be engaging and complex. Don't reduce your BFF to a stereotype or caricature of their identity. Instead, create a fully-realized character who is an integral part of the story.

Do Your Research

When writing secondary characters, it's important to do so responsibly. Avoid tokenizing characters or reducing them to stereotypes. Do your research and make sure you understand the experiences and perspectives of the types of characters you want to include. Consider whether you are relying on harmful tropes or stereotypes, and if so, work to subvert or challenge them. Remember that secondary characters, just like primary characters, should have their own agency, motivations, and character arcs.

It's also important to consider representation in your secondary characters. Diversity and representation matter, and including characters from different backgrounds and identities can make your story richer and more relatable to a wider audience. However, be mindful of not reducing characters to their identities alone. No character should be defined solely by their race, gender, sexuality, ability, or any other identity.

In conclusion, secondary characters can be a powerful tool for adding depth and complexity to your story. They can provide conflict, romance, and friendships that help your primary characters grow and change. However, it's important to approach writing secondary characters with care and responsibility. Do your research, avoid stereotypes, and strive for authentic representation. With these considerations in mind, you can create secondary characters that are just as compelling and memorable as your primary ones.