Chapter 1

Adeline's Pov

Sometimes I wish I was invisible. I wish that the people around me would stop expecting so much out of me. My friends are amazing and my life is the American dream. But does the American dream include having mommy issues? Well, Blair Waldorf did at least so I got that going for me.

A knock on my door snaps me out of my thoughts and I turn off my stereo to open my door.
"Miss Adeline your grandmother would like you to come downstairs to eat dinner." the maid, Kate says. At least I think her name is Kate. I don't even bother trying to learn the maid's name anymore because they're always gone by next week.

"Tell my Grandmother I will be down in a minute," I say and she nods and walks down the hall. I sigh and close my binder where I was supposed to be doing my English homework but got caught up in my thoughts.

The walk down the stairs is followed by the click of my heels.

"Adeline, how are you dear?"

"I'm good grandpa, and you?" I say with a smile and sit down in my seat between my grandparents.

"Oh, I'm well, sure better than the guy whose foot had to get amputated this morning." He says with a small smile.

"Richard! That is not appropriate dinner-time conversation!" My grandma says with an astounded look on her face.

"I'm sorry ladies." He says with a tone that suggests how not sorry he truly is.

As the maid comes out with the salads my grandma says "Lorelai came by earlier today with some exciting news."

"What is such exciting news?" I say with little interest.

"Rory got into Chilton and she is starting on Monday," Grandma says with a smile full of joy and excitement at her grandkids getting to bond.

I freeze at that. How dare they come into my life after never seeing each other. "Oh, that's wonderful!" I say with a fake smile full of sarcasm but my grandparents don't pick up on it.

"Education is very important in a young person's life and I am glad Rory is getting a good one," Grandpa says.

"They are also coming over for dinner every Friday night now." a smile on her face.

"Grandma, why are they coming over every Friday? You know none of us like each other."

"Well, it would be good to get you guys to bond again. Who knows maybe you three will be close now that you guys have a chance."

"I'm not even gonna be there most Fridays because of football games and cheer practice," I say trying to get out of the situation. I feel like I can't breathe. My heart is beating so hard and so fast that I can feel it.

"I called Chilton and got them to change cheer practice to change Friday's practice to Monday's practice. Now, I couldn't change the games but you would make it for dessert."

"Oh, thank you," I say and I pick at my salad.

"May I be excused, my stomach hurts?" I ask my grandparents.

"All right, I'll send some soup and some Gingerale up to you later."

"Thank you" I mutter and walk upstairs quickly and all but run up into my room. I close the door softly and slide down. Tears roll down my face and I sob covering my mouth with my hand to soften the sound.

How can I do this? I can barely handle seeing them 3 times a year. I see them at the Christmas party, Easter, and Lorelai's birthday. I can't do it. My whole life I've tried to ignore them, pretending it doesn't hurt that they're so close and I'm not a part of that. I've tried to separate myself from them in every possible way. But Lorelai Gilmore must have her way, and she wants Rory at Harvard and Chilton is how she's gonna get there.

I cry and sob for what feels like hours, days even. Eventually, my sobs calm to light hiccups and I don't think I have any tears left. I slowly stand up my legs have fallen asleep.

Click.

Click.

Click.

My heels fill the room and I sit on my bed kicking them off. I lay on my stomach and scream into the pillow. My screams have always been ignored by the people around me.

I sit up and look in the mirror. Mascara ran down my face, my face red, and my eyes puffy. I walk into my bathroom, turn the shower on, take my makeup off, undressing. Sometimes I feel like my life is like a movie or a tv show. It's like a sitcom where it seems perfect on the outside but behind the scenes, people are talking shit about each other, lawsuits, and the actors have some kind of mental health problem. My life is like a dollhouse. The people are fake and made of plastic.

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if my mother took me with her. Or if Rory was left behind instead. Would I be different? Would Rory be different? Would we all be close?

I step into the shower and feel the water touching me, grounding me. I wash my hair, condition it, and then wash my body. By the end of it, I feel better, and less out of touch. I turn off the water my body dripping with water from the shower, goosebumps appearing on my skin. My feet touch the cold tile floor and I pad over to the counter and grab a towel, drying myself off with it. I change into shorts and a hoodie and get under the covers. My mattress sank with the weight of my body.

As I am about to drift off to sleep, I think to myself.

Having my foot amputated would be better than today.