Chapter 2

Adeline's Pov

"What's life without vodka, football, and girls?" I hear Nick ask and a slap that follows probably from Ada.

Nicholas Kean, but make sure to only call him Nick or you will get kicked in the shins. Learned that the hard way. Is obsessed with only 3 things alcohol, football, and girls. If he doesn't get a football scholarship I'll be shocked. Though, he probably doesn't need it with his father's tech company. Nick is new money, unlike the rest of us. He has fewer expectations than the rest of us, he doesn't need to go where a long line of his family went to. He can go anywhere and he can do anything. But he still has money and with money comes responsibility.

"Despite what you may think Nikki there are other things in life like you know food," August says and another slap follows that.

August Warner is a very fun person. He's the one in the group to make sure that no one is sad. August is a fixer and if there is a way to fix it he will do it no matter what it is. With that comes his biggest flaw, always wanting to please everyone including his parent's impossible standards. He is two-faced but in an odd way. With us, he is so fun and upbeat but with his parents, he acts like a 30-year-old about to take over his mother's business.

"Addi! I swear to god I'm gonna kill myself because of these idiotic manwhores." Ada says pulling me onto the grass where they are sitting.

Ada Bahl is the glue that holds us together. She is smart but witty, with a hint of mystique that makes her the most interesting person I know. She calls us out on our shit but in a way that doesn't make us feel bad about ourselves. She's gonna take over her dad's company one day and it's the best fit for her in my opinion. Helps that she loves it too.

"No time to stop that Ada I have bigger problems than their stupid argument," I say sadly laying my head on August's lap. "My sister is coming to Chilton on Monday and I have to see my mother and her every Friday. My grandmother even somehow got cheer practice moved to different days so I can't miss it."

"You're mom and sister seem like a bitch to me," August said running his hand through my hair. It makes us look like a couple when we're not but my mind is too occupied to care what people think of us right now.

"You don't even know them," I say looking up at him.

"Look I'm a bitch, so I can see a bitch from a mile away," Avery says to me.

Avery Mills is probably my best friend, not that the others aren't my other best friends but we are closer. Like how Nick and August are close and Ada and Reese are close. We just get each other in the best way. We have pressures that others just don't face. Avery is not afraid to put people in their place but not like Ada, she will hurt your feelings. She knows everything about anyone in the school. Avery knows all and see's all.

"I can't do anything about that girl, but I can throw it apart and get you drunk," Reese says rubbing my arm comfortingly.

Reese Bell is a party animal. I love her and all but she would rather repeat high school than have parties be illegal. She doesn't face the pressure to get married and have kids like Avery and I do because her mom is a single mom after her dad left when she was a toddler. We still hear the whispers of him when they think she can't hear. Reese also doesn't face that she has to take over her dad's business but she is still old money. Reese's mom would have been if my mother stayed in this life, the elite.

"Thanks but we have to do it after nine because that's when this stupid dinner is gonna end." As soon as I say that the bell rings signaling the start of school.

With a sigh, I force myself to get up putting a smile on my face I walk into my first class, English. The classes drag on and on with no one paying attention or participating but Paris Geller. She is an acquired taste who only has two other friends besides me. We aren't even really friends but we study together sometimes and if have no other friends in a class will work together if the teacher lets us choose. I'm more friends with Madeline and Louise than Paris but she is always with them so we developed a friendship. The only reason I started being friends with the trio is that our Kindergarten teacher got Madeline and me mixed up.