Chapter 5

Rory's Pov

Up until the third period no one but teachers talks to me other than Paris Geller who hates me for whatever reason. The kids just stare and whisper at me. However, I do see Adeline surrounded by her friends. Five of them stood out most pointedly. Judging by the way people look at Adeline I'm guessing she's pretty popular, if not the most popular.

I walk into Biology and see the girls who gave me a dirty look, Paris, and Adeline sitting together at a lab table. Though Paris is the only one out of the four getting stuff out to take notes, the other three giggling as they touch up their makeup. The other tables are full except for one. It's a good place, right in the middle. The only downside, they all seem to be pretty good friends but, where else am I going to sit? I walk over there.

"um.. does anyone sit here?" I as quietly as they all look at me.

"No, feel free to sit here." One of the girls says moving her bag off the seat and onto the floor.

"Thanks," I say quietly sitting down on the now-open seat.

"You know what I am mad about the uniforms and I'm mad that Adeline Gilmore looks perfect in hers!" The girl sitting by my states looking at Adeline. "Don't you think she looks perfect in hers?" She asks me.

"Yeah, she does," I say not wanting to say I'm her sister.

"What's your name?" Another one of the girls asks me.

"Rory. Rory Gilmore."

"Ohhhhh your Popular girl's sister!" The last girl says. "I'm Jenna. Jenna Cleary."

"Nora Collins." The girl sitting next to me says.

"I'm Della Holts the girl on the other end says.

"So Della is eventually going to ask you to ask Adeline for Nick Kean's number," Nora says laughing.

"It's not my fault that he's hot!" She says turning red.

"Well, I don't know how much I will be a help with that. She and I aren't close." I say looking down.

"Really? I thought you would've been. I mean I know you live with your mom and she lives with the grandparents but, I would've thought she would try more to be close." Jenna says curiously.

" I think it's hard for her, the situation is complicated and I don't know how much I can say."

The bell rings before more can be said. Saved by the bell.

The day got better after I made friends, luckily was in most of my classes after the third period.

Adeline Pov

Today sucked. From people asking me if Rory is my sister, why she wasn't here before, plus I lost my lip gloss. So today is not shaping up to be the best day. The day is finally over oh wait it's not, I have cheer practice soon but at least I get to go home for an hour before practice starts. The one time I'm thankful the color guard team booked the gym earlier.

Waving at people as I walk to Avery and August. August is driving us home today because Ada and Reese have some club thing. Don't ask me how they are in the same club, I have no clue either.

As we're talking I see Lorelai and Rory hugging as they complain about their day.

"Hey, you ready to go?" August asks me snapping me out of my trance.

"Yeah," I say taking his hand and linking my arm with Avery's as we walk to August's car.

Lorelai Pov

I see how people look at Adeline. The look of awe and the want to be her. I see it. I see the whispers that follow me and Rory as we hug. I want to shield Rory from this world. The world of rich people getting away with stuff, teenagers acting like adults, the pressure of society, to be in the upper class, and the misery you can feel from it. Adeline Is too far gone now, living in the center of it with the Gilmore's. I wish I fought harder to make more money so I could protect both of them.

Rory is talking about her day and I can't seem to fully listen to what she's saying. Whenever I see Adeline the guilt I push down always comes back with force. No matter how many 'I'm sorry's' It will never fix leaving her behind. I left her in a cold house.

My parents adore her though, she is like a poster child for the upper class. She has the look, and the personality, she knows what to say even if she doesn't agree with it. It's amazing how well she fits and I don't. Who knows, maybe Rory fits.

I push the feelings back into a little box. I have to let the past be the past so I can focus on the future.

"... And they kept calling me Mary."

"No way they still say that."

"Why what does it mean?"

"Mary, like Virgin Mary."

"Well, what they would've called me if they thought I looked like a slut?"

"well, they would've added a Magdalene to it."

"Wow, biblical insults this is an advanced school."

The thirty-minute drive was filled with talking about Chilton and how horrible the morning was. Though, it should be better now that Rory is taking the bus.

After we get home the day seems to be as normal as it was before. Rory studying and doing her homework, me bugging her and doing my bits before going to Luke's for dinner.

We get ready for bed and shut all the lights off saying goodnight before I go upstairs into my room.

I can't sleep just like every other time I see Adeline. The "what if's?" Appearing in my head with Rory no longer being something to focus on. It's just me and the silence and the darkness hanging out.

The same thoughts in my head that were there fifteen years ago. What if I took both of them with me? What if I left them both? What if I took Adeline instead of Rory?

A/N I really need to get better at updating this. I keep on saying I will but then I forget about it, a lot like my homework and many missing assignments. Hope you guy like this story!