Chapter 24

Carter's pov

I don't feel anything- that's a lie. I feel more relaxed this evening, more than usual; all thanks to Johannes getting access to the meds, I can hear myself think more clearly.

I can breathe without trembling when it's time focus and set aside my feelings temporarily.

Jolene may have her differences but she's respecting our wishes on keeping this under wraps before it just conflicts with all I'm trying to accomplish...

I don't know enough about my new conductor- Nala Acèro...

I need to talk to Johannes about this.

I can't just-

"How was yesterday?" Lillian started with her note pad.

We were in my loft and nobody was around. She had her hair up in a bun and was wearing glasses- she looked all sophisticated compared to the other times I saw her.

Is this her in therapist mode?

"Carter?" She broke my thoughts and I was blinking.

"Sorry, you just look different. It was fine yesterday, yours?" I shrugged it off.

"It's okay, I probably over dressed considering we met under unique circumstances," she made me giggle at her professionalism and she started laughing too.

"My day was fine, but you don't have to show any concern towards me, this is only for you- however long this takes and whenever you want to make a stopping point," she smiled softly at me.

Damn, if she only knew everything that's going down with me...

I don't like withholding things, but sorry Lillian, as much as I like you; I'll be keeping very crucial details out for the sake of you and my mom's relationship.

"How about some rice cakes and a glass of almond milk for you? Your mom told me that's been your favorite light weight snack. Keep the metabolism going?" Lillian tossed her glasses to the side and started walking towards the kitchen.

"What kind of rice cakes?" I eyed her carefully and a smiled curled.

"The chocolate covered one's with the little chocolate chips frosted onto them- that is your favorite kind, yes?" She pulled out my actual favorite snack.

"Down to the tiny chocolate chips!" I couldn't help myself and she laughed.

"How are you holding up, seriously?" She handed me a glass of almond milk and the entire bag of chocolate rice cakes.

"Wait-

"I'll buy you another bag," she insisted and I didn't hesitate at all.

"Ahem?" She was waiting for me to answer her question.

"Where do I start?" I shrugged realizing the rice cakes were a negotiating gesture to get me to open up and be more comfortable.

Damn you guilty indulgences..

"The beginning; when you challenged your- um... I guess he's basically your arch nemesis," she seemed confused and out of it.

I didn't say anything as I cautiously munched on my rice cakes.

"To be fair, I personally don't see him as a threat to you- performance wise. It's so obvious his family is only good for money. You're the better performer of course- not to be biased. but, you did challenge him on your accord, yes?" She caught my eye.

"Mhm," I was munching.

"Why?" She made me think.

"I was having pizza night at Eleanora's- Ms. Arturo... you get it," I sighed frustratedly and she nodded.