Chapter 36

Carter's pov

I'm staring blankly as Bishop is rushing to the stage with his mic.

"I've also done some rethinking of my own," he made the audience murmur.

I look to Eleanora to see if she knows but she shrugs clueless as well.

"Knowing that the two competitors are fighting for the seat of a historical concert master position- among other things. It was my realization that the judges are making their decision of the better musician based upon their guidelines.... I have guidelines of my own...." Bishop starts to create a commotion.

"You said-

"And that is one hundred percent true- thank you Ms. Acero.... This competition is in fact for the concert master position our next concert requires. But I have a proposal for Carter Cammery, if she'll let me," he looks to me.

I don't have a mic and this was not in my premeditated competition stage directions.

I couldn't do anything except mouth 'okay' to him and he smiled.

"How about an internship position- or better yet: a job?" His question made me stare blankly and the audience gasped.

"Look- I've worked with you: the conductors love having you. We've auditioned both Raheem and Cammery side by side multiple times before: accidental or intentional, Ms. Cammery has proven to be the musician we very well need for the community. That although perfection is preferred, it's individualism coming to unity is our top priority. So if Raheem wins, it'll just be for the spring project. Cammery, you have a job and in due time a career as you also have a home with us- if you accept?" My mouth dropped with everything bishop has to say.

I looked down to keep the tears from smearing: I truly have no choice in this life but to win?

I smiled and picked my head up as I mouthed 'yes' causing a roaring applause leaving Nala and Raheem with nothing left to say- they don't even know how to react.

No matter what, I've truly won: what's a job compared to a one time performance?

I mean- Raheem, of course if I win, he has to pack his bags...

No, I really need to win.

I cannot stand him, his family- Nala remains persistent to be helpful despite how things turned out.

It's almost pestering me even.

"Well then, without further ado... the winner of this exhibition," the head judges exchanged smiles with me and Raheem- her eyes lingered with Raheem a tad second longer...

Even I know with body language like that....

"No..." I softly whispered.

"You saw it too," he whispered back.

Just say his name so I can get it over with.

Nothing feels real- the first time I lose and it's in this situation.

"Thanks for keeping my seat warm," he mumbled with a confident smile.

"Took you long enough, honestly," I remained emotionless.

"No one likes a sore loser," he couldn't help himself.

I winced in pain feeling the pit in my stomach deepen, the hairs at the back of my neck stood up so straight, it hurt and I could feel my eyes ache in agony with tears welling up.

I never wanted to drop to my knees so badly.

I gave it my all- I'm not a sore loser.

It just hurts that my best wasn't enough...