Chapter 26

Carter's pov

"Do you think I over did it?" I was looking into the mirror as I did a final touch up with my lashes and mascara.

I haven't dressed up in a while now that I come to think of it; it's always been comfortable fitting clothes so I can get in and out of the cast.

"The whole conductor thing? The turning off your emotions- Or you mean getting ready for the wedding?" Jolene's sarcasm made me roll my eyes in irritation.

"The wedding thing obviously," I remained monotoned.

"Carter, I'm sorry for the smart remark but I do worry," Jolene helped fix my ivory white silk dress.

"I'm sure there's a club for that. I just wish everyone would stop worrying about me so damn much. I'm not trying anything. I'm doing the best that I can and if everyone is gonna be worried about me doing my best, it should be a reflection of themselves, not me," I reasoned and Jolene hitched her breath at what I said.

"Carter, I get that but taking medication behind everyone's back?" She made me stare at the ceiling in irritation.

"I can't be distracted by emotions right now. I just need to focus on a good execution," i spritzed a little perfume.

"I'm still going to argue that you're your best musician when you let your emotions flow- i know, I know: my grandmother said you will only be medicated long enough for you to learn the music and once you cycle off, Saturday will be here and you'll be able to pour your heart out," Jolene sighed.

As if she's the only one conflicted right now.

"A slicked back side bun suits you very nicely," she changed the subject and I shrugged in the bathroom mirror of the church.

"I suppose. I look different," I took another glance at myself in the mirror...

"Not to make this anymore personal, but Carter, your eyes don't even sparkle the way they used to," I paid no mind to try not to take it personally.

"Yeah, how about you go through a breakup and still continue to follow through the plan that damned the whole thing- ready?" I took a deep breath and let my shoulders fall naturally and fixed my posture.

I am here to play music at someone's wedding. This is an event that requires happiness. A couple is entering their new life-

"Stefani, I seriously don't think this is a good idea," the bathroom door swings wide open with a light skinned young girl strutting in..

(I in fact did somehow manage to find a younger Stefani just for this update😂)

She looked tensed as her eyes burned with desire and resentment. It wasn't long before a blonde girl followed in behind her..