5: Bobby Puts Her New Minion To The Test

"So what do we do now, Bobby?" the woman on the couch asked. Bobby understood the words, just like she did when her main minions, Tristan and Brody, spoke to her, although she usually chose to ignore their requests.

Bobby had at first considered the new-comer rather peculiar—even by cat standards, which since the species itself was known for peculiarities, was rather high—since she glowed in the dark, had spent the better part of the morning building a throne out of couch pillows, and seemed to have no clue what a cat preferred to eat. Bobby had been offered torn textbook pages, a few potted plants, and Brody's stinky socks before she finally was able to convince the sparkling woman to open the coveted tuna cupboard. After patting and head-butting on the tuna cans, which were somehow magically impenetrable for cat paws but seemed to easily slide open from the touch of humans' hands. And while this stranger may not be exactly human, she did, to Bobby's great envy, possess opposable thumbs, which made any tuna can shiver in fear.

Using those magical thumbs, the strange woman had opened two whole cans of tuna and presented both to Bobby on top of Tristan's Algebra textbook. While the serving vessel might be a bit strange, Bobby had appreciated the offering and decided that she would allow this new acquaintance a trial period as one of her minions. Since Brody was out of town currently, she needed someone to boss around when Tristan was in school anyway.

To test her minion-in-training, Bobby didn't reply to the question vocally. Because it was her firm opinion that her subjects should know what to do without being told. She couldn't be expected to go around dispensing orders at all times, that was far too arduous a task for her sensibilities. Instead, she simply rolled up into a shape reminiscent of a cinnamon bun, with her tail draped elegantly over her paws and nose. After dinner, it was time for a cat nap, that was just common sense.

The sparkling newcomer didn't ask any more questions, which would have made Bobby twitch her ears in annoyance. She simply followed Bobby's lead and cuddled up on the pillow-less sofa, closing her eyes and drifting off into dreams.

Closing both eyes to doze off on her throne, Bobby noted that the minion had aced her first test.

Author's Note: Yep, this story now has a cat POV... I figure it could be an interesting narrative device to let Bobby tell her side of the story at times (and it may allow me to show events that neither Tristan nor Vyrsa would be aware of). I intend for these to be in the form of shorter interludes such as this one and labeled with Bobby's name in the title (as you may have noticed, the previous chapters all have the POV character's name in the title and I intend to continue that theme).