6: Vyrsa Learns The History Of Earth

A slam from the front door awoke Vyrsa from her slumber, where she—on order from Bobby, the reigning queen of the apartment—had been digesting the information from the books she ate earlier. Now she had a basic grasp of the subjects of Advanced Algebra, Java Programming, and Game Of Thrones. That last book had been a quite heavy meal, but it had been worth it as she now had a full understanding of the politics of Westeros—a landmass of this planet?—which she was sure would come in handy when navigating this new world.

Hopefully, Tristan had the rest of the books in the series as well—because she'd noted before she dug her teeth into the cover that this was part one—because she was invested in the harrowing story at this point and couldn't wait to find out how it all ended! The history of this planet sure was fascinating, and very dragon-filled. This was surprising considering that dragons usually never strayed from the upper echelons of the universe. Hopefully, the white walker problem of the North was dealt with by now though.

"Mroww." Bobby jumped down from her throne, toppling a few pillows in the process. The feline didn't even look back as the downy squares bounced against the floor. It was obviously beneath her to clean up after herself.

"Hi there, kitty cat," the earthling, who had introduced himself as Tristan earlier, greeted his ruler. "Did you behave while I was gone?"

This was obviously a silly question. Surely, even earthlings knew that cats never behaved, but were also never chastised for their crimes on account of their endearing appearances. Beings all over space were all too aware of this, sighing over fabric torn by kitty claws and water glasses spilled by errant paws while still scratching their overlords' chins and rubbing their fluffy bellies.

Vyrsa stuck her head over the top of the comfortable sitting sections she'd been sleeping on to observe the interaction. Noticing that her hair had unsculpted itself, she pulled her fingers through it, letting the nails shape it back into its usual fanciful shape. Ornate hairstyle with bulbous forms that balanced atop one's head was the latest fashion on Isola, and Vyrsa wouldn't be caught dead with her hair flat, not even here, in the outskirts of the universe.

Tristan jumped backward at the sight of her as if he'd seen a monster. And perhaps she was to him, even if he appeared more handsome than fearsome to her. But the apparent fear in his eyes still stung a bit.

"So-sorry," he stuttered, after regaining his composure. "I forgot you were here, Vyrsa. Your hair is quite... impactful." He pointed at the wall behind her, which made her realize that the way the light from the hallway hit the grand creation on her head resulted in a beast-like shadow.

So it wasn't her who was the monster. It was just her hair. Or rather the shape of it.

"Sorry," she apologized, sensing her face sparkling in shame. She could never hide her embarrassment. The increased glitter effects always revealed her innermost thoughts. "I didn't mean to scare you."

The fear on Tristan's face became replaced by wonder and he cautiously moved closer. "You really do sparkle," he said. "I thought I just imagined before. In fact, I kind of convinced myself while I walked back that you couldn't possibly have been real. I figured I would walk back in here and you would be gone. And I would wonder forever if you were actually real."

"Are you disappointed?" she asked, feeling like maybe she'd outstayed her welcome.

"Are you kidding?" Tristan slung his long legs over the armrest of the couch and sat down on it, right beside Vyrsa. Meanwhile, Bobby jumped onto one of the fallen pillows, which were now scattered around the floor, filling the apartment with a loud purr as she rolled up into a fluffy ball. "This is the most amazing thing that's ever happened to me," Tristan assured Vyrsa. "I mean, this is what guys like me dream of."