21: Vyrsa Doesn't Waste Time

"There!" Vyrsa looked triumphantly toward Tristan, who stood next to her with disgruntled Bobby in his arms. The cat had been apprehended to prevent her from trying to catch the moving shapes in the air. "I did it!"

Vyesa closed down the Coian communication interface by lightly tapping her finger on the hovering orb. The device folded in on itself and the alien symbols disappeared. The kitchen looked like a regular human kitchen again.

"What did you do exactly?" Tristan put the flailing Bobby down on the ground, where she promptly started to chase his shoelaces instead. With an exasperated sigh, he let her have at it. Bobby deserved some fun playtime after her courageous chase for the Coian spy anyway.

"I reprogrammed the destination plan for the spaceship," Vyrsa proclaimed proudly. "Now, once the ship enters the atmosphere, it will track the communication device instead and perform the extraction for the key around it."

"So we just need to put the communication device and the key somewhere desolate, and the Coians will swoop it up without anyone getting hurt?" With reignited hope in his eyes, Tristan pointed toward the green orb on the table.

Vyrsa nodded. That's all they needed to do. Except for one minor detail. But she couldn't tell Tristan what else would need to happen for the plan to work. Not yet. Because the alien ascent was still a few hours away and she wanted to enjoy those remaining hours with him to the fullest.

"There is a big nature reserve up north," Tristan said, seemingly having looked up the intel in that facts-filled brain of his. "I can borrow Brody's car"—Tristan pulled up the square communication device from his pocket to send a message to his roommate—"and we can drive there to drop the items on a field or something way before the ship arrives. We can wait nearby to make sure the Coians retrieve the key and then return back here."

Vyrsa bit her tongue to not let tears well up while Tristan blathered his naive plan. Because there would be no returning, at least not for her.

"The device will announce with a signal when the Coian ship passes Venus," she said, trying to not reveal the mixed emotions in her tone. "That will give us plenty of time to get far away from here before the ship arrives. Which should be in the early morning, Earth time."

Dusk painted the sky in lilac and gray outside the window, which meant they had many hours left until the alien spacecraft would appear in the atmosphere. They probably should spend those hours wisely, getting as many miles between them and civilization as possible.

But wiseness was overrated. Because this would also be their last hours together, even if Vyrsa couldn't tell Tristan that, and she had no intention of wasting that time on logical decisions.

It was time to listen to other parts of her body than her brain.

Then, logic could once again take over and they could save the world. There would be time for that as well.

There was a visible release of tension in Tristan's posture upon realizing his home and his friends would be safe. His shoulders dropped downward and he exhaled deeply. "It's kind of cool to be part of this." A spark of wonder lit up his face. "Like I will be there, watching the aliens land. It's like something out of a movie or TV series. I think I remember a plot kind of like this in Star Trek, or was it Stargate..."

A long exposé on the plots of the different shows followed, where Tristan compared the execution of similar narratives that related to oncoming alien invasions. Vyrsa listened keenly, without really understanding a word. But she understood the excited gleam in his eyes as he delved deeper and deeper into the lore.

"Tristan..." she whispered softly while he took a brief pause to breathe while explaining the complex biology of the Goa'uld.

He looked up with a nervous smile on his lips. It was adorable. And made his lips appear very kissable. "I'm blathering too much, aren't I?" he asked.

Vyrsa could have told him fascinating facts about how there actually was parasitic species in the universe similar to the made-up Stargate worms he'd just told her about, who became one with their host in a symbiotic manner. But she didn't want to spend this night, her last night on Earth, discussing such matters.

"You know I love to hear you talk, Tristan," she replied, moving close enough to cradle his hip and pull him closer.

Bobby took this as her cue to leave the kitchen. With one last judgemental glare, she slunk into her bedroom.

Vyrsa let her fingers dance upward, across Tristan's ribcage, neck, and cheek. Her nails reflected the growing tension between them, glittering like a night filled with stars. A pleasant current of warmth urged her to come closer. It was as if the growing tension in his body charged a buzzing need in her own. With every slight movement, the charge intensified, making it feel like literal sparks ignited when they touched.

"But maybe, just this once, you could shut up for a little bit." Vyrsa pressed her lips to Tristan's. The kiss made a shockwave of desire envelop them both.

He nodded, probably scared that uttering even a word would somehow break the tension. With a wave of his hand, he gestured toward the bedroom.

Author's Note: There will be no interruptions this time, I promise!

(Bobby is napping and I forgot Brody exists so he won't return home!)