Chapter 4

As soon as we were out of Gariel's sight, I questioned Paula. "How are the kids? Have they eaten anything today?" Paula looked at me sadly and shook her head.

" Sir told them today morning when they woke up. They were inconsoleable for a long time. Its hard for them to accept it. Especially with their age, I don't think they even fully understand. They are upset with sir because they want to see her. And he won't agree."

" Well, that's all understandable. " I replied. " I will be staying for a week. I hope I can help with them. I'm only staying for them. So I will be coming in the morning and leaving when its time for them to sleep. If I am allowed. Gabriel may have other plans to take care of them?"

Paula nodded and stopped by a closed door. "This is their room, and no sir hasn't informed me of any other plans for them." She said and knocked on the door softly. There was no reply, so she opened it and pushed the door open and stepped aside for me to get in.

I peeked in and saw the girls huddled up in a corner on a playmat, each holding a stuffed toy and softly stroking it. I guess they were talking with each other and playing. I stepped inside and called their names.

As soon as they heard me, they whipped their heads around to see me. They ran towards me. I knelt down to catch them in a big hug. And as soon as I caught them, I hugged them tightly, breathing in their baby sent. I loved their smell. It always felt like heaven for me. And gave me so much comfort. I hadn't realised how much I had needed this since I heard the news, until I actually felt them in my arms. There had been no one to hug me. I hadn't told anyone back home. I took the first flight and came here. This is the first hug I got.

"Nicky!!" They both cried at the same time. "Aww, my babies, I have missed you so much. I love you so much, sweethearts. " I exclaimed. Still hugging them tight and kissing them both on their heads.

As I let them go, there were tears in all our eyes. " Daddy said mommy's gone. Is that true, Nicky?" Livy asked in a small voice, with her eyes wide. I gulped. I looked between the two of them. My chest hurt, feeling there pain. I hope I don't start crying. Thats the last thing they need. I need to be brave for them. I am here for them. To make sure they understand that even though their mother is gone, I am still here. They can count on me.

"I am sorry, my babies." I began carefully."It is true that mommy had to go to heaven. God had needed her. You know how kind and wonderful your mother is. So God had asked her to go and help him. But he had promised that she could always watch over you both from up in heaven. That she will always be with you. So my brave little angels. Are you proud of your mommy because she was selected by god to go and help him?" They both nodded, and I smiled, "but I think mommy would be really sad if she heard that you hadn't eaten anything this morning. Especially you, Bella. You always need your milk as soon as you wake up."

Bella looked down, looking a bit guilty, "Sorry Nicky. I'm a bit hungry now, though." She said with a pout. And as soon as she said it, we all heard a grumble from her tummy, and we all laughed. Of couse Bella loves food. She is a little foody who is always sneaking around in the kitchen trying to steal some food between meal times.

I turned to Paula and asked, " Paula, could you get them their breakfast? They can eat it here. Maybe some fruits and boiled eggs? Would you like that girls?" They both nodded. Those were their easy to eat meals. Sarah gave them that when they were sick and fussy. They both loved fruits.

"Of course! I'll bring them right away, " she said with a happy smile and hurried out to get the food. As soon as the food arrived, the girls ate them hungrily.

Their mood seems to have temporarily lifted. Thank god. The funeral is in the afternoon, so I hope I can keep them in this mood for as long as possible.