Chapter 39

Three months later

Gabriel's POV

Life is torture. That's the short and sweet conclusion for what life is, I thought as I sat in my office with my hands gripping my hair, ready to pull them out of its roots.

I had long since tossed away my jacket and loosened the strangling hold of my tie. I was sitting by my desk trying to read an important contract that needs to be signed within these two days. I have read it atleast ten times and I still cant remember a word it said. I just cant seem to concentrate.

I had no sleep at all last night. And I came to office as soon as the girls had there breakfast. I can't sleep most of the nights because a pair of beautiful honey coloured eyes kept haunting me in my sleep.

I keep dreaming of waking up next to her to the feel of her fingers travelling along my chest. As I open my eyes she lifts her head to rest on top of my chest, with those eyes looking right at me, her soft silky hair cascades down her back onto my chest and I lift my hand to thread my fingers along its length.

I groaned as I realised that I was now day dreaming about her instead of reading. I am not going to get any work done today I decided with a another loud groan, shutting the file closed. I should just go home I thought, as I leaned back on the chair, closing my eyes.

After sometime I heard a knock and someone walked in. I knew it wasn't my secretary, as she wouldn't dare enter until I told her to. So I just stayed as I was with my eyes closed.

A gentle carass on my head made me open my eyes. I saw the eyes of my mother looking down at me fondly.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" I asked lifting my head and straightening in my chair.

"I came to see your father and thought I would drop by to see you. I haven't seen you in months honey." She murmured gently as she walked around to sit opposite me.

"Yea, I have been busy." I told her shortly.

"Yea I can see that," she said as she looked at the mess on my table. Several files were opened and thrown carelessly on top of the table, while there were several more piled up at the end not yet touched. "your father told me you have been working nonstop ever since you came back from the holidays. Honey you shouldn't tire yourself so much you could get sick.

Sophie called me." She continue, changing the subject as I didn't bother replying. "She said you are not answering her calls?"

"I told you mom I have been busy. I don't have time to entertain relatives." I told her.

"She is calling because she is worried about you. You know that."

"I am fine."

"She told me what happened there. Have you heard from her?"

"No." I told her shortly, knowing exactly who she was talking about.

It was true. I know she calls the girls every single day, but its always when I am at work. It might be a coincidence or she might be avoiding me just like I am avoiding her.

"Have you tried calling her?" Mom asked, interupting my thoughts.

"No." I replied again.

I heard mom sigh making me look up at her from the files that I was pretending to read.

"Its for the best mom. Its not even been an year since Sarah left us, I cant start all over again. Not so soon." I told her honestly, speaking about my feelings for the first time in three months.

I feel guilt. So much guilt when I cant get Nicola out of my head. I should be missing Sarah, but its Nicola I miss and the guilt is eating me.

She nodded understanding. "I guess it is for the best. Jessica told me she has seen Nicola with a very handsome young man lately."