Diver Down

It was mid day when the pogues were on the boat with the scuba gear that John B had stolen.

Meave and Kiara were looking at the tanks, making sure that they had air so they could dive safely.

"Hey uh John B" Meave called, turning around looking at him. "These are empty."

"What do you mean?" John B asked her.

"This is empty." Kiara said, pointing to the air tank. "You took empty tanks." She sighed.

John B looked at her, not knowing what to say.

"Oh my fucking god.." Meave sighed, putting her face in her hands.

Kiara picked up another valve and looked at the pressure, "Okay this one is about a quarter full." Kiara said to them. "Should be enough for one of us."

"Love it when the plan comes together." Pope commented from behind the wheel.

Meave looked at them in disbelief, "John B why didn't you check the tanks?"

"I didn't have time for that Meave, I could get fired for this." John B fired back at her.

"Okay does anyone know how to dive?" Kiara asked, ignoring the two.

"It's kind of a kook sport." JJ mumbled.

Kiara sighed, looking at Pope.

"I uh I read about it.." Pope muttered.

"Great, so we're screwed." Meave said, putting her hands up in the air.

"Okay look, you put the thing in your mouth and breathe." JJ unsurely said. "How hard can it be?"

"Okay JJ so can you dive?" Meave turned towards him with her hands on her hips.

JJ sighed and looked away.

JJ looked at Pope, "Uh pope.. so what are the dangers?"

"Well," Pope started, "If you come up to fast, nitrogen gets into your blood, and you get the bends."

"Bends?" Meave asked.

"Bends like bend over and.." JJ started, holding onto the railing of the boat and starting to bend over.

"The bends kill you." Pope deadpanned at him.

"Right.."

"I can... I can dive." John B suggested to them.

"You can dive." JJ replied. "I'm cool with that."

"Since when can you dive?" Kiara asked him.

"It's fine, I'll do it." John B said to her.

"Let me do some calculations real quick." Pope sighed.

"Okay Pope, lay it on us." Meave joked, looking at him.

"Okay so the boats about 30 ft down." Pope started to explain, doing the math in his notebook. "So it'll take 25 minutes at the depth. Which means you need to make your safety stop at about.. ten feet. All right? For two minutes."

"Yeah Yeah. Ten feet, two minutes. Got it." John B replied, nodding at him.

Meave looked up and realized that Kiara took up her shirt and jumped into the water. "Uh what..?" She looked around in confusion.

"What was that all about?" Pope asked.

"I don't know." JJ said, looking into the water where Kiara jumped. "But I liked it, I liked it a lot."

"Same" Meave agreed with him.

"Okay uh anyways." JJ started. "So when your down there, you look for the cargo hold." He said to John B. "You stick this thing inside, and twist and pull, okay?"