ONE, the double d's

DAPHNE: Daphne Beer and the Six didn't have quite the ring to it

DAPHNE: Daphne Beer and the Six didn't have quite the ring to it. No, Daisy Jones and the Six just worked. It clicked. The name bothered me 'till I left, I mean, you try standing behind the star that shined as brightly as Daisy Jones. When we finally worked together, I thought for a while I couldn't compete.

She challenged me.

I saw her for the first time at some party in the hills I snuck into. It was full of producers and label reps, I was switched on back then. 'Never got the luxury of being discovered or a rep taking a chance on me one night on the strip, I had to talk, I had to flirt and I had to make promises that I sure as hell didn't keep. Spoiler alert, it used to bite me in the ass.

But that'll be your first tick in the box. Yes, Daphne Beer played dirty. I don't think anyone needed verbal confirmation, but there it is.

At that point, I'd gotten a couple of my songs out to other artists but no dice with recording my own voice. Teddy Price had me on a string but he said the label didn't had faith in me.

So... truth be told, I needed Daisy Jones. I wouldn't be sitting here without her. We spoke for the first time at another party when Simone introduced us, we'd finished a night at Gazzarri's. We were talking shit about Penny Richardson and the doe-eyed, redhead that was Daisy Jones strolled into my life.

We did coke.

——

"WHO'S THE REDHEAD?" Daphne took a gulp of her white wine, her and Simone watching the girl saunter around the party of label reps. She didn't look like she was trying too hard, that's what had caught their eyes in the whirlwind of artist. She had a cigarette between her fingertips and a glass in the other hand, Daphne's kind of girl.

Simone smiled, squinting her eyes, "Think she might've been in the crowd."

Daphne shrugged, her eyes glazing over the scene, "Looks like Penny's on another warpath, you ready for that shit Mona?"

"Why do you think I'm hiding out here with your ass and in the lights?" She giggled, watching as the redhead had approached. The two looked at eachother before setting their complete sight on the girl.

"Sorry, did either of you guys have a lighter?" She held out her cigarette, Daphne smirking as she lit it for her. She looked her up and down, "And who might you be?"

——

DAPHNE: She thought she was sly, I saw her own lighter tucked in her back pocket.

DAISY: She was totally checking me out.

SIMONE: It was interesting, I'll tell you that. It was like two alpha's sizing eachother up. It wasn't necessarily hostile but Daph saw how young she was... That they were more than likely to be the same age. I guess she was trying to see if she was gonna have a new partner in crime. It was interesting, Daisy knew everything about me. In fact, she knew everything about everything.

——

"DAISY JONES," She answered, held out her hand to shake to both of them. Daisy smiled, "I'm a huge fan of the both of you."

Her gaze landed onto Simone though with a shaking head, "I don't know what you're doing though singing backup for Penny fucking Richardson.

Daphne had laughed, Simone nudging her to stop but she couldn't, "You tell her, 'cus she sure as hell won't listen to me."

"Speak of the devil," Daphne added as the girl had approached for Simone.

"Penny fucking Richardson," Daisy gawked, her manners intact as she held her hand out for a shake, "Daisy Jones, huge fan."

Of course, she ignored it. Penny stole Simone from the two, angry as ever. That left them alone, Daisy opening her mouth first, "So, I heard Runner scrapped you again."

"Excuse me?"

——

DAPHNE: I nearly spat out my fucking drink. There she was, Daisy Jones being unapologetically herself. Hated what she said but I kinda liked that she had the balls to say it, Simone was stepping on eggshells about it.

Teddy had me in the studio on his time, on his and Rod's money. I didn't know it at the time. Teddy was on the label's bad side at that point, the second they got wind of me in their studio they lost it.

I was talented but known to be... reckless? Everybody in that town knew I was keeping the entertainment alive in the clubs and bars, but I sure as hell was partaking in the illicit activities.

I don't really know where the distaste for me came from, everyone else on the music roster acted the same. Drugs, alcohol, all of it.

TEDDY: It was her attitude. She had a rockstar's attitude without being the rockstar. I liked it but at the end of the day, I didn't run the label. For someone so wired to the industry, she didn't know how to sweet talk Runner Records. They just never liked her.

DAPHNE: I got about 4 songs in for an album, I had 7 others ready. There was one thing I learned from it and that was how quickly word could spread. It was wild to me that some little artist like me had caused quite the stir up.

Teddy helped me leak one of the songs to a local station, it was called "Willow." Practically got sued for that!

But Daisy knew all of that. She knew every little bit. Simone used to call her a Sunset Encyclopaedia and she was right.

——

"I LOVED WHAT YOU DID WITH WILLOW," Daisy added, "It casted a spell on me, I was surprised by it. It's so much softer than anything you've done. Thought you were a rocker chic."

"Piss me off the right way and I can have you sobbing, begging on your knees to take away the heartbreaking melody I can write," Daphne slurped the last of her wine, "The label doesn't think I could hold my own without some angelic music. And even then, they won't take me."

——

DAISY: No one wanted to work with Daph on her own, I couldn't tell if she was lying to herself or if she actually believed it.

——

"THEY OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT," Daisy smiled, switching her full glass with Daphne's empty one, "But was that before or after you screamed at one of the other producers?"

Daphne laughed, "With knowledge like yours, I'm surprised I haven't seen you on a stage. Or are you just... this?"

"Pardon?"

"What I'm asking is, are you just a groupie or are you a singer?"

——

DAISY: She was taking me seriously underneath all that. You just had to hear her say the words to me in that moment, the way she talked, the way she listened to what I had to say. I liked her.

Plus, she asked me a critical question that night.

——

"SO, DO YOU DO COKE OR WHAT?" Daphne threw her cigarette to the concrete, pressing her heel into it. Daisy had a devilish smile, "I'd better ask first, what happens if I piss you off the wrong way?"

"No one's crossed me quite like that yet," She winked, Daisy tilting her head, "I ain't gonna be the first."

Daphne had thrown her arm around Daisy's shoulders, the wine finally causing a dizzy spell like a reminder that it was time for a bump, "We're gonna be the fuckin' double d's, Daisy Jones."