FOUR, cardigan

DAPHNE: I was waiting tables at a diner as close to the strip as I could get when I wasn't writing songs or singing

DAPHNE: I was waiting tables at a diner as close to the strip as I could get when I wasn't writing songs or singing. 'Had a lot of people from the clubs wander into the diner, most of them gave good tips 'cus they remembered me. Not for my voice though, that would be too kind. Apparently even my work clothes were sex appeal to those sharks. Sick world, isn't it?

Whats worse is, if I was getting the good tips... I let it go. It didn't matter to me how vulgar their language was or how long their hands felt around my back... Money was what I needed.

Money is survival.

SIMONE: Of course it mattered to her. I remember every single fucking time that she came home from work, whether it was the studio or even her diner jobs.

Silent.

Daphne Beer's a lot of things but she's no silent girl. She felt weak when she cried, Daph never wanted to be vulnerable but I know it was all bottled up in there.

I mean, we all know it was. Daph wouldn't have done what she did and Billy sure as hell wouldn't have done what he did.

Anyway, we were talking about the diner. I was there when Billy came in, Daph told me it was the first and only time he'd ever walked in there without the band. The fact that she clarified that to me told me all I needed to hear.

It was sweet, honestly. They mulled over songs while she was supposed to be wiping down tables, he'd scribbled over her pages and she'd pry at the binding of his. I had a session at the studio so I left around midday, not that either of them cared.

DAPHNE: He understood what I was trying to write where I couldn't, I never admitted that but I didn't do a particularly good job of hiding where my inexperience in writing was. All I did was sing for the first couple years, sing songs I'd stolen and sing things Teddy or Rod thought would look good.

I spent a long time trying to be a good songwriter. I was in my stages then, I was decent. Not great, which is what I wanted.

BILLY: Yeah I uh, I saw her. I went to see her at the diner a couple of times. I'd needed a bite to eat and Cami and I walked in, saw her and waved. She came to take our order, tips stuck in the band of her dress.

Daph talked to us for a while, she seemed sweet. She seemed sober.

I liked Daphne Beer for everything she was but the glimpse of her real smile and the way she spoke was... was illuminating.

Cami said she felt a little sick so she went to sit in the car while I paid, while I gave Daph a tip.

DAPHNE: He handed it to me, he didn't force it into my palms like it was pity or stare at my chest saying 'there's more where that came from!'

I'd like to think I wasn't applauding him for the bare minimum in my head.

——