FIVE, no crime

DAPHNE: So, I took myself down to Nastys finally after an early gig

DAPHNE: So, I took myself down to Nastys finally after an early gig. Between the shifts I was getting at the diner and the gigs I had lined up, particularly at the Whisky might I add, I was a little busy.

ROD: Yeah, she was busy. But she also had pill bottles and little baggies that cut her twenty four hours a day to about twelve. [Throws arms up] I never knew where it was my business to cut in, wether it was just better for me to keep an eye out.

Daph was like a daughter to me, I was more invested in her well-being than I should've been coming from a professional standard. Tried bringing up rehab a couple times, she wouldn't go. But hey, you can't force someone into rehabilitation and you especially can't force a musician.

I drove her and her backup to Nastys, all of us smoking. We wandered in and it wasn't quite as empty as I thought. I remember I'd had a little scout in the Dunne's third or fourth week and the venue was practically dead. If they were getting a little crowd at this place, I was already fantasizing about what else they could do.

DAPHNE: I loved that they always looked like they were having fun. I noticed a new band member up there too, Karen. She was fucking awesome. I knew we were gonna be friends.

I'd finished my own gig at the Troubadour, an iconic night if you ask me. It's one of those old videos that got a 4K remaster on YouTube! Daisy and I sang a little duet, I pulled her up onto my stage. Bare bones of Nothing New, oh how I love that song.

Point is, I guess some people saw me wander from there to Nastys and followed suit. It wasn't as popular or anything, they must've wondered why I didn't stay back to party with Daisy... If there was something better that only I knew about.

Gotta love the groupies who followed my old drummer. Or, stalked, is a better verb.

BRYCE BURTON: Daphne had a reputation as clean as a bloodied knife. Everybody on that strip knew that she knew how and where to party, what the best booze was and when it was time to bring the coke out. Friends in high and low places, y'know?

I cleaned up at the Whisky then met them at the Troubadour. Only to follow my brother Tyler, Daph's drummer Archie and her two guitarists Leila and Farah down to Nasty's. They were all willing to be in a band but Daph, she didn't wanna commit. But they loved how they got paid. It was in drugs if you didn't catch it, plus exposure... She mighta been bad for reputation but guess what? What's a rockstar without the highs of rock n roll?

This was probably the first time in a long time that Daph had turned down a party, we were all supposed to head to Chateau Marmont but she insisted on going to see this band.

DAPHNE: We huddled up in a booth, drinks going around... I'd say the Dunne Brother's were headed toward the end of their set. They were great.

I locked eyes with Billy at one point, giving him a wave that he smiled back to.