ZERO, daphne beer

www.wikipedia.com/daphne-beer
Daphne Beer (born May 26, 1951) is an American singer, songwriter and producer most known for her iconic debut album Mad Woman. She was once a songwriter and band member of cult 70s band, Daisy Jones and the Six. She used the band to launch her solo career.

DAPHNE BEER

Spouse,  Tyler Burton (1979 — 1989)Children, Luke Beer (1980 — present)Parents,  Nicholas Beer                Lisa Beer ✞

Children, Luke Beer (1980 — present)
Parents,  Nicholas Beer
          Lisa Beer ✞

MUSICAL CAREER
Years Active, 1965 — present
Instrument(s), Vocals
          Rhythm guitarist
Member of, The Six
Daisy Jones and the Six

ELAINE CHANG (biographer, author of Daphne Beer: She's On Her Own): Daphne Beer was a named you'd hear on the Sunset Strip years before Daisy Jones and the Six. She was a small artist, a young girl clawing her way to a gig at Whisky A Go Go the second she had a fake ID between her fingertips.

Sex. Drugs. Money. Three words to describe Daphne from the ripe age of 16, she knew the way her world was going to work in Los Angeles. That's one thing she had going for her from the start, she learned the people she was hanging out with. That one roadie who gave tequila for the first time, the other one who slipped her drugs and the bouncer who'd let her sneak into the best clubs. Daphne Beer could play dumb, the blonde hair was a bonus.

Her parents were a nervous wreck, their daughter completely detached while they slaved away to afford their home in the city of angels. Daphne used to beg for guitar lessons, then she begged for lines.

Albeit, the Beer's were known for leaving their daughter weeks at a time from young. Daphne recalled their infamous line, too many business trips too little time. It was code for their debt, the way they'd bitten off more than they could chew.

All she had was the figure of Rod Reyes and later, Teddy Price. Reyes was a close friend of her father's, a tour manager who took on the enigma that was Daphne Beer in all of her rage, scandal and cocaine.

ROD REYES (tour manager, daphne's first manager): She was a good kid. I just thought she'd see it for herself, see that she could've done it all on her own. I couldn't stop the path she went on, I'm not a god.

The drugs were for attention, she probably wanted to see who was there for her... Who gave a shit. I opened the door for her, I said I'd help her out and it's because I couldn't believe the talent that had been rested on this girl. She was a lyricist. A real one. Her voice? Just God's way of saying he did have favorites.

If she'd cleaned up her act the first time, Daphne Beer wouldn't have landed in the lap of Billy Dunne. I can tell you that much.

TEDDY PRICE (producer): I couldn't catch a damn break with that girl. She had so much to give but I just couldn't give her the shot she wanted. Not in the beginning. I didn't see bright blue eyes when I found her, I saw red veins. She was skin and bones. All of it masked by that heavenly voice and songs, I can admit that. But it wasn't enough.

She was unstable from the start. I was never gonna get her on her own successfully with the label like that. Yeah, she sure as hell would've been a rockstar. A big one. But I beg you the question, how long would she have been one for then?

Call me cruel but when I put her in the Six, it kicked her into drive. She realised she wasn't no backup singer. I saw the blue eyes again. It worked for a while, I believe it gave her a glimpse of a non-destructive path; the one I hope she falls back on after this mess.

Her and Billy just... they were mirrors of eachother. Then I had Daisy Jones in there, apparently my past self was asking for a disaster.

It's a damn shame, they made real magic.

DAPHNE: I guess my parents weren't around all that much, they worked a lot. We couldn't really afford where we lived and they were struggling, I didn't make that too easy. Mom saw that sparkle in me from a kid, hah, that's what she always called me... She put me in dance classes, she bought me a guitar.

Dad taught me how to play, though. That's when he realised I could sing... He was in the industry, not like a producer or anything thing just one of those music loving people. He told me he was in the industry to save face, it's a habit that I say it. Day job in the office, night job listening to music on the strip. I was practically the same except, I was always determined to be the one making the music.

Daphne Beer on the strip. Name in lights.

I remember I used to get picked on 'cus my last name was beer. Billy teased me about it, he thought it was funny since the only alcohol I hated was beer and it was with a passion. We were on the road and he'd downed a pint, I gagged. That was early on, he only ever called me Beer.

DAPHNE: Now, [Interviewer], I guess you wanna get this show on the road.

Let me tell you how I met Daisy Jones.