16.Vendée!

Charlene Saint-Clemont frequently accompanied her friend Edith out lately, either occupying seats at the Jacobin Club, listening to speeches and debates, or helping to sort out manuscripts at Lucile Desmoulins' house.

She wished to learn more about the cause her brother and friend were working for.

"I sometimes feel a little afraid," Charlene said one day in late October at the Desmoulins."Day and night, I hear the rumbling of the tumbrels carrying death row prisoners to the square passing by beneath my bedroom window. It makes me unable to help feeling appalled."

"Oh, don't say these demoralizing words, Charlene! The Law of Suspects is meant to rid France of its festering sores. The guillotine continuously kills enemies, but it brings new life to the Republic!" Edith immediately stopped her friend's complaints.

Charlene obediently lowered her eyes."I think you're always right, Edith."

But Lucile shook her head, looking just as apprehensive."You'll only truly understand this feeling when you become a mother too! Only women have this kind of empathy. We've borne children, we know how difficult it is to create a life. Yet the men indulge in the thrill of power. When a life passes away in their hands, they only give a shudder!"

Edith leaned in."This special period will quickly pass, Citizeness Desmoulins. When all the enemies of liberty are eliminated, we'll enjoy a happiness like never before!"

"I hope so, my friend. My husband Camille is also a little worried. His heart is always soft." Lucile stroked her son's hair."My poor little Horace, my sweet boy! I think I gave birth to you too early."

"At least he was born in a great republican era," Edith added.

"Yes, but children should only know about play and peace!" Lucile sighed.

------------------

In November, Andre and Philippe received orders from the Committee to serve as representatives on mission in guiding the suppression of the revolt in the Vendée.

Philippe was delighted to receive this task. His intimate schoolmate, Sacha, who went back to his hometown of Vendée as a lawyer after graduation, became an honorable republican when the Revolution arrived.

This young man with a feminine appearance, thin and hunched figure, always wearing a shy smile on his face, unfortunately died in the March massacre in Machecoul this year. The rebellious peasants who resisted conscription applied the punishment of impalement and brutally dismembered him.

"Every time I think of patriots like Sacha, suffered such a tragic fate, the blood in my veins burns with rage!"

Philippe paced back and forth in the living room.

"These ignorant and superstitious stupid peasants! They are not willing to fight for the Republic, for their own liberty, yet very willing to die for the noble lords!" He viciously swung his fist down.

"Perhaps the revolution did not make people understand it." Margot in the armchair spoke in a soft tone.

"As the poor, they actually stood on the side of the counter-revolutionaries! How ridiculous! However, these rebels won't be rampant for long!" Philippe gnashed his teeth in response.

------------------

In the room, Andre bid farewell to Edith, embracing her tightly and saying,"Forgive me, my love. How I hate to leave you! But the Committee's orders are absolute."

"Why not let me go together with you, Andre?" Edith looked up at him, her eyes pleading.

He shook his head solemnly."Vendée is in unrest. I cannot put you in danger."