19.Beware of Strangers Bearing Gifts

Pluviôse was soon coming to an end. On this afternoon, Edith and her close friend Charlene were sitting face to face in the living room of the Percys, engaged in idle chatter.

Philippe and Andre were both at the National Convention, and Margot was accompanying Aunt Adele on a visit to friends. The elderly woman still refused to spend much time at home, lest she encounter that Quenet who she had treated like a son last year, but who now made her tremble with fear. Thus, only the two of them remained at home now.

"Alas, the scholars' petition has failed once again. Perhaps there is no more hope for Lavoisier to receive clemency!" Charlene sighed, closing the newspaper in her hands.

Edith immediately retorted, "Lavoisier is a tax farmer for the tyrant and a profiteer of the Republic. He must atone for the detriment he has brought to the people."

"I understand that. It's just that he has such outstanding achievements in chemistry! If we have to cut off such a head, wouldn't it be a great loss?" Charlene replied.

"Intelligence and knowledge do not equal privilege. Haven't you read the Declaration of the Rights of Man, Charlene?" Edith interrupted her, displeased.

"Indeed. But I still feel sorry for Madame Lavoisier! Citizeness Marie-Anne Lavoisier is a true genius in chemistry. And she is also a seasoned polyglot, can create such exquisite blueprints! When I was a child, my father took me to visit her once. She was still very young at the time, I think only around twenty years old, yet already so knowledgeable! Since then, I have admired her so much. I even thought if only I could become a woman like Madame Lavoisier one day. How sad she must be now!" Charlene said.

It was clear that the smart Madame Lavoisier did hold a special place in Charlene's heart, as evidenced by her rare willingness to continue arguing with her friend even after Edith had already expressed her dissatisfaction.

"Stop talking about it, Charlene. I don't like to hear you sympathise with the enemies of the revolution," Edith coldly interrupted her once again.

"I'm sorry, Edith," Charlene's submissive nature once more made her adopt a humble attitude. "I think I have said something foolish again."

Edith merely turned her head away, inwardly scornful of her friend's aristocratic weakness. She was too young, too fanatical, and had yet to understand the greater significance behind it all.

Charlene had just picked up her needlework from the coffee table when they heard an abrupt knock at the door.

Edith approached the door with confusion and opened it to find a middle-aged man with a not tall yet wide build, dressed in a petit bourgeois style. His beard was thick and unkempt, both his appearance and demeanor rough. Despite all this, he seemed to make people feel uneasy, perhaps because he kept shifting his weight between his legs, and his hat was pulled down quite low, causing his gaze to always peer upwards.

The man saw Edith and pulled down the brim of his hat even further before speaking in a low and gruff voice, "I'm looking for Citizen Quenet. It's urgent."

"He's not at home right now. He's gone to the National Convention," replied Edith.

"He'll be back soon, right? Can I come in to wait? I've got something important to hand to him," the man's eyes never met Edith's, instead keeping darting around.

"Please," Edith hesitated for a moment but then gestured for him to enter.

Once the man sat down in the living room, his unnatural behaviour became even more apparent. He appeared restless and kept fidgeting, occasionally staring straight at the door or looking around to observe the room with unease. Edith noticed that his complexion was off colour, his eyes were all bloodshot.