27.The Spirits of Paris

"Have you heard, Edith?" Lucile spoke with a heavy heart as soon as Edith entered the children room of the Desmoulins

"Have you heard, Edith?" Lucile spoke with a heavy heart as soon as Edith entered the children room of the Desmoulins. "Hébert was arrested last night."①

"Hébert and his followers are insane, keeping them around would only bring more turmoil to the Republic, wouldn't it?" Edith was quite puzzled to see her so worried.

Yet Lucile shook her head. "But what crime was he charged with?"

Edith was speechless.

Lucile placed her hand on her chest wistfully. "Today they can arrest him on the ridiculous charge of being a monarchist. Will they accuse Georges and my Camille of the same tomorrow?"

Edith immediately argued, "Citizen Desmoulins and Danton are different. How the people adore them!"

"Doesn't Hébert also have hordes of followers? I'm just afraid that if this continues, Terror will only get more out of control. Once the principles of law and justice are abandoned, there will be no shortage of accusations!"

"I think you're worrying too much, Citizeness Desmoulins." Edith replied somewhat hesitantly. "Perhaps this arrest of Hébert is just a stopgap measure. I believe that the Committees are still bound by reason."

"If that's the case, then we're very lucky." Beautiful Lucile let out a long sigh. "Camille also thinks that I'm worrying too much. He still has great trust in Maxim's friendship. But I still fret about them so much!"

Little Horace, who had been playing with his toys on the side, seemed to sense his mother's sorrow too, for he suddenly grimaced and started bawling.

Lucile quickly spoke up to soothe the child, but suddenly choked up herself and hastily covered her mouth and nose with a handkerchief.

"Sorry, what is wrong with me? I think my heart is just too chaotic!" The young mother, with red eyes, tried her best to give a smile.

Edith could only clumsily touch the light-coloured curls of little Horace. When she was with children, she always found it hard to be as collected as Charlene and her sister Margot.

Luckily, the young Madame Danton hurriedly arrived with the child from her husband's previous marriage. She stooped down and spoke to the boy, "Look at you, Horace! Shame on you! You made mama unhappy with your crying! Now hurry wipe away your tears like a little man and take your brother to play!"

This little woman of seventeen had a unique magic on kids with her childlike voice and face. The little boy of the Desmoulins soon stopped crying and led the other little bit to the corner to crouch down.

"There will soon be a committee of amnesty, Lucile. Georges promised me he would make it." Lovely Louise sat on the edge of the bed, holding onto Lucile's hands folded on her skirt, her voice laddish yet resolute.

"Let's hope so, my friends! Let's hope so!" Lucile couldn't help but embrace the two of them.

When she saw Edith off, Lucile kissed her cheek and reminded her, "You should also remind Citizen Saint-Clemont to be careful with his words and actions, dear Edith. At least for these few days they all must be extra cautious."