30.Raphael Into Exile

"Brother, everything is packed and ready

"Brother, everything is packed and ready. I have checked them again for you," Charlene Saint-Clemont said as she wheeled herself closer to Raphael. "It is time to depart."

"...Truly going to flee? Just me alone?" He continued to gaze at the stained tricoloured badge on the table, his eyes vacant as he murmured.

"You are leaving for my sake, dear Raphael," Charlene's voice was gentle yet resolute. "I implore you, command you, to preserve the last family ties for me, this lonely, helpless maiden."

Upon hearing these words, his gaze shifted towards her. "Then, what about you? My sister! Abandon you, far away from home all alone! "

"They would not do anything to a poor paralytic like me," Charlene smiled and shook her head. "Don't you remember? Four years ago, when people stormed into our castle, torches held high, their faces ablaze with such rage, only to turn to pity upon seeing me in this state! After all, what use am I to them, a disabled girl who cannot even stand up?"

"If you insist on taking me along, it will only burden us both, dear brother!" She appeared so fragile in this moment, yet possessed a power that convinced from the depths of one's soul.

Edith entered the room with slow steps, her heart heavy, and asked, "Are you prepared, Raphael?"

"Thank you, Edith. I knew you would come," Charlene turned, offering her friend a serene smile. "I'm afraid only with your presence, will Brother be willing to set off!"

Raphael paced around the room anxiously, his long boots leaving heavy echoes upon the floor.

"I'm just so cowardly in your eyes! All the comrades stay, awaiting the verdict of fate, only I alone, must flee Paris under the shroud of night, like a condemned criminal!" His voice rang out with agitation.

"It's merely a precaution, Raphael," Edith's voice was dry. "Even if the Committees really dare to take action, the people will rally all their strength to shield Citizen Danton and Desmoulins. I believe the citizens of the Revolutionary Tribunal will deliver a just verdict!"

Raphael scoffed, "A just verdict! If such a thing still exists, how would Danton and us face the threat of arrest now?"

Charlene braced her arms on the wheelchair armrests, and exchanged a worried glance with her friend. "There's no more time to hesitate, Brother. Every minute and every second of delay deepens your peril!"

Raphael came to a halt and languidly entered the small room where the pack was placed.

"I'll go check on him," Edith sighed, gesturing to Charlene.

As Edith closed the door behind her, Saint-Clemont all at once leaned his body against the bookshelf as if drained of vitality. Days of sleep deprivation and spirits had left this former nobleman dizzy and feverish; his present state of health was truly wretched.