Chapter 11

The present

Maahi was oddly running late again. She had told the freelancers to meet her at the venue but their cab broke down and they ended up reaching much later. So, she decided to go meet them in the hotel that they were put up. It was the same hotel where a lot of the wedding guests were staying.

After speaking to them, she made her way into the elevator. An elegant woman standing inside, smiled a small polite smile at Maahi who returned the gesture. All was uneventful until the lift stopped at a floor and a couple walked in. They were dressed for an event, in a nice suit and a classy saree. They were having a conversation which they didn't stop just because they had entered a space with other people.

The man said, "Haan, but this is the same girl na?"

The woman asked, "Kaun?"

The man said, "Arre wahi. I remember clearly."

The woman waited with a blank expression on her face, waiting for her husband to complete his train of thought.

"Haan! Kajal Parekh hi thi woh! Jise shaadi ke din ladka chodkar bhaag gaya tha!

The woman perked up at this. She nodded and said, "Oh! Haan, haan. It's the same girl. Aapko bataya tha yeh ghar par. Bhool gaye ho aap."

The man frowned and mumbled, "Accha?"

He then shook his head and asked, "Anyway but this girl is getting married again na abhi?"

She replied, "Haan."

All the while, Maahi and the woman kept quiet. It was difficult to not eavesdrop in such a small space.

In the end, the woman next to Maahi let out a frustrated sound and said, "Again nahi. First time hi kar rahi hai shaadi."

The couple turned around and instead of looking shocked that someone had overheard their conversation, they leaned in gleefully as the man asked, "Hain? Arre but ladka chodkar gaya tha na pehli shaadi mein?"

The woman's deadpan expression remained the same as she said, "Ji itni acchi ladki ke saath shaadi karne ka saubhaagya nahi tha uska."

Maahi couldn't help but smile at the woman's smooth retort. The couple physically backed off slowly when they realized that they were being schooled.

They had reached the ground floor by then. Just before exiting the lift, the woman couldn't resist it and casually said, "Milte hain phir? Humare ladke ki shaadi mein?"

Maahi burst out laughing as the lift doors shut on their slightly shocked expressions. She turned around to look at the woman and said, "I'm sorry for listening in but you were amazing. Consider me a fan."

The woman smiled a lovely smile back at her and said, "Well, I couldn't help it. Are you from the bride's side? You don't look familiar."

Maahi shook her head and said, "No, no. I'm the photographer. Well, the last minute one which is why you probably don't know me. I take it you're the groom's mother?"

She shook her head and said, "No, but he's like a son to me. Viku and my son are childhood friends."

Maahi nodded and oddly remembered the bride saying how the groom didn't like pet names. This woman must be close enough to enjoy the liberty to call him whatever she pleased.

"What's your name, beta?"

"Maahi. How about you?"

"Aanchal. It was so nice to meet you!"

Maahi gave her a huge smile and said, "Aunty, trust me, the pleasure was all mine."