Chapter 39

The present: Enroute

Maahi had just finished a strenuous shoot and was returning back to her Airbnb. She was feeling good about the day. It was a tough shoot and the clients were...challenging to say the least but the shoot was done. She couldn't wait to go back and just sit around doing nothing.

She parked her car outside the estate and walked over to the house. But before she reached, she noticed an ornate white swing in the quiet garden. She peered into the garden and smiled, thinking how she could bring a cup of coffee and relax on this swing.

She had already imagined making the coffee as she pushed the door open and walked inside the house. She was so used to coming back from outdoor shoots to an empty and dark hotel room that she was momentarily shocked. Because this house was far from empty and dark. Apart from being warmly lit, there was also a wonderful aroma in the air that hit her the moment she opened the door. She took a few more steps and heard a mild acoustic tune playing from the kitchen.

She looked at Aarush, busy working in the kitchen. He was dressed for a relaxing day in loose black pants and an oversize t-shirt. He had meticulously set up the kitchen the way he wanted and was midway through a recipe that was open on his iPad. He was lounging about, humming a tune, and checking the stove. He looked very much at home. But then he looked up and caught sight of her. That's when he let out a classic Aarush smile. One that Maahi hadn't seen before yet. It seemed to say 'I'm so glad you're home!'

Oh dear.

"Mehra, you're back!"

She didn't know how to respond to this. The truth was that she was glad to be back. To this picture of comfort. To this person who seemed to feel at home with her. Who had started to feel like a version of home to her. That was the first sign of trouble.

But she was too tired to pay heed. So, she pushed the feeling away for another time and set her bag on the counter. She asked, "What...are you up to?"

"I wanted to do something to say thank you for letting me come along. I hope you like risotto?"

Oh good lord. That was what was smelling so heavenly.

She worked doubly hard to push away her concerns and pasted a smile on her face. Aarush peered at her and asked, "You don't like risotto?"

"I do. Why do you ask?"

He raised an eyebrow and said, "Well, you look like I said I'm feeding you boiled vegetables."

She let out a laugh and said, "No, no, I'm just tired. This...this is amazing. Thank you!"

He continued to look at her for a bit before smoothening out the tiny frown on his face and said, "Okay then. Well, it should take another twenty-odd minutes. Why don't you take a seat?"

She raised her hands and said, "I need to wash up. Give me a minute."

He then called after her and said, "I promise I'll let you be after dinner."

She let out a small hum and walked away, wondering what she was thinking when she had said yes to this.

A little while later

She should have known. The meal was amazing. Aarush Iyer, stand-up comic by day was an annoyingly good cook by night. He was also such a pleasant conversationalist. Not that that was particularly shocking. He had asked about her day, listened quietly as she had spoken and had asked several relevant questions. He had so many stories to tell her and his eyes sparkled as he spoke as though he really wanted her to be the one to hear about his day.

Maahi's guard was slowly slipping and she knew it. She knew she had to do damage control soon. She just knew she couldn't start this very minute without sounding rude.

So, when she suggested coffee and Aarush nodded, she knew she was playing in dangerous waters. 

Author's note: This is one of my most favourite chapters in this novella! Which one's yours?