Chapter 17

The present

Maahi had been to her fair share of weddings. But she had never been to an elopement. Of sorts.

She stood with her camera ready, as they waited for Kajal and Vikramaditya to arrive. Aarush sat cross-legged on the floor, responding to texts.

For want of something to do, she asked Aarush, "So...where are we?"

Still texting, he responded, "My place."

"And why are we here specifically?"

He looked up from his phone, a slow smile spreading on his face.

"Don't you know how Vik met Kajal?"

Maahi replied, "Chhat romance no?"

"Balcony. Whose balcony do you think it was?"

She looked around the house and frowned. She then remembered Naina telling her the story.

"Wait...you're the friend whose house Vikramaditya stayed at...You're actually Kajal's neighbour."

He laughed and said, "Yes! Well, my parents are. They live here. I moved out a while ago and now, I...mostly live out of a suitcase."

She mumbled, "Tell me about it."

Before he could respond, the door swung open. They both looked up and saw Vikramaditya walk in holding Kajal's hand. Naina followed with an iPad in hand. It had the groom's younger brother on it on video call. Maahi captured Kajal's expression immediately.

It was one of awe. After all, the black balcony railing was decorated with lush white flowers, interspersed with green stems. There were two cushions ready on the floor and a third that was already occupied by a lady priest who looked up and smiled at them.

Kajal gushed, "Oh my God..."

Vikramaditya looked at her with a smile that simply lit up his face. He asked her softly, "Do you like it?"

She kept looking at the set-up in utter wonder and asked, "What is this?"

He pulled her gently towards the balcony and said, "You wanted a small wedding, right? Quiet, no-nonsense, away from it all. Well, before the crazy big wedding, here is the tiny one you wanted."

Kajal looked up at the morning sky that served as a backdrop and turned to look at him. She reached out for his hand again. Once his hand was secured in hers, they walked towards the cushions and sat down.

She looked at the priest with a winning smile and said, "Let's begin please."

It was one of those intimate ceremonies that you would hold onto for years to come, and you would do so with a smile. The only light was from the sun rising behind them. The only music was the birds chirping early in the morning. Kajal kept looking around the balcony and at Vikramaditya, almost like she couldn't believe she was here. The place where it all began for them.

They exchanged simple garlands. He took her hand and slipped another ring next to her engagement ring. She looked down and saw it. It was a simple rose gold band with a date inscribed on the inside. She then smiled a sunshine smile at him. She reached up and kissed him on the cheek.

And just like that on a bright winter morning, dressed in sweatshirts and pyjamas, away from all the madness of the world, Kajal and Vikramaditya were married.

On a balcony where it all began.

Author's Note: I have had this chapter in my head for so long. I am SO GLAD it is finally out here for you all to read. It felt like the most organic wedding for these two. I hope you guys liked it too. <3

Love,

S