Chapter 27 (The past)

Seven years ago

"Maaaahiiiii...Looking hot ya."

Maahi rolled her eyes and looked behind to see Prateek following her. She had never been a fan of his. He always went around thinking like he knew better than everyone else, spoke mostly about himself or else always had an agenda when he spoke to you. Most of the times, she stayed out of his way. But of late, he seemed to have taken a liking to her and kept following her around. She knew he wanted something from her. She just didn't know what yet.

She had just parked her bike and was pulling out her backpack when he called her out. She did look good, she guessed. It was the last traditional day for their batch. She had put in extra effort into the way she looked. She had worn a bright yellow flowery lehenga and choli. She had topped it up with a fitted jacket of the same colour and material. She had done away with the dupatta because she needed to show up for the photography club today and do her share of the duties of documenting the day. Her dadi had taken one look at the outfit and nodded before going inside her room. She had come out with her antique chandbali earrings and handed them to Maahi. These earrings were rather famous in her family. She was yet to know why. She was just told that they were capable of creating stories of some sort.

Adjusting her earrings, she saw that Prateek was now walking beside her. She got straight to the point and asked, "What do you want?"

"Arre? I can't compliment you like that only?"

The look of incredulity made Maahi want to laugh. Instead, she shook her head in amusement and kept walking straight ahead.

He said, "So I was thinking of going to the States soon. Masters and all, you know. Yahaan main kya hi karunga."

She still said nothing. Taking that as a cue to go on, he continued, "But before going na, I wanted to throw this badass party. Like one final sendoff for me. Mazaa aayega."

She frowned and looked at him.

"Are you inviting me to your party, Prateek?"

"Of course! You can't not attend the party. Your presence is vital."

Her frown deepened further. Since when did her presence at a random party of his matter to him? There was clearly something bigger brewing in that ridiculous self-praising brain of his.

"And why is my presence vital?"

"Arre, if you have to click pictures, you need to be there na? Unless you want to become a paparazzi photog and stand outside my house."

This seemed to amuse him no end as he began to laugh. Trust him to laugh at his own jokes. Wait.

Maahi stopped walking and turned around to ask, "What? You want me to click pictures? Of what?"

"My party, duh. I want to take these pictures with me. You know, abroad? So, I was like best kaun hai? Maahi only. So yeah. I need you to come."

Her face must have gone through a series of expressions which if Prateek understood her well enough, he'd be able to read. But since he didn't, he simply went, "What?"

"Pagal hai kya?"

With that, she started walking away. He caught up fast enough and said, "Arre come na. Kya tu bhi?"

She replied drily, "Oh wow, I'm convinced now."

He stopped. Maahi continued to walk. He called out, "Fine. I'll pay you. Ab?"

She turned around and said, "Nope. But thanks."

With that, she reached the college gate and walked in. Thankfully, Prateek didn't follow her through here.