Chapter 45

The present: At the Mehras'

Just as Aarush began to wear his shoes to leave Maahi's home, the door swung open and a young guy walked in, a bag strapped across his shoulders. He looked up and saw Aarush sitting on the couch and tilted his head slightly with a frown. He then walked closer and dropped the bag on the table.

Aarush got to his feet, extended his hand and said, "Hey man, you must be Maahi's brother Abhinay. I'm..."

"Aarush Iyer."

Aarush smiled and said, "Yeah. You know me?"

"Of course. I have watched your specials. Are you here to meet Maahi?"

Aarush replied, "Actually, no. I came to meet your Dadaji. And then ended up spending the night on the couch. He insisted that it was too late."

Abhi laughed and said, "Yup. Sounds about right. Are you on your way out?"

"Yeah. I was just about to. I feel like I've overextended my welcome."

Abhi frowned and said, "Nonsense. You haven't spent time with me yet."

He sat on the couch and turned on the TV. He exclaimed, "Ohoho! Just what I needed. Lootera is on. Come, watch."

Aarush's eyes went round. Abhi looked up and asked in concern, "I hope you like Lootera?"

"It's...my favourite."

"Good. Coz that one's a dealbreaker for me and Maahi. I'll ask her to make the popcorn, wait."

"She had to step out for some work."

"Oh. Then it's just the two of us. Unless you have some work."

Aarush remembered his half-written document back home and his slowly ebbing writer's block. He then looked at the screen with Varun talking to Pakhi near the riverside.

He was never able to resist the powers of Lootera and he wasn't going to start now. He slowly sat down and said, "Nothing that can't wait for a bit."

Author's Note: This chapter is dedicated to my undying love for Lootera and its music. Everything about it appeals to my heart. The gorgeous film deserves all the love it gets and more. <3