2. Back to School

Hey guys, so I just wanted to thank the 20 something people that took the time to actually give this story a chance, but I also wanted to dedicate this chapter to my first voter, which is...drum roll please...@Ikestarker33 :)

It took me a week to finally face my fear of walking up to the boring ass building that I call "school." I had skipped the first week of it because I was a wimp; not the confident Lorena that my friends knew me to be. Anyways, as I pushed the double doors, I walked in looking for my locker, but instead I found a crowd gathering around my locker, looking for confetti, candy, and other junk to throw in there. And FYI, I've actually never told anyone my locker combination. It's nice to know that our janitor accepts bribes; it could be useful in the near future. Especially if I needed to hide out in the janitor's closet after my friends see me.

I swiftly turned around deciding to instead head for my first period since I had no other place to go. If I walk into the cafeteria then everyone would know, and I would much rather put this off as much as I can, because I honestly feel and look like shit, and I know that, but if I go to the classroom first at least no one will react as openly as they might when they're not in front of a teacher, right?

But of course, with the luck I had, of course that wouldn't happen. "LENORA!" shrieked one of my best friends. "Is that you?" I turned around. "What the hell happened to your hair?" Sophia asked. Well, wouldn't you like to know.

As all of them turned to look towards me I suddenly heard gasps and I started to frown. I don't think my hair was something to gasp about, I mean, I understand the surprise and stuff, but seriously? It's just hair, I mean, come on, it's just some fucking hair!

As I looked around at all of their reactions, a girl, a freshman I presume, came up to me and said, "You're Lenora Moore?" Pause. "Wow, you're a lot uglier than I expected you to be." That comment was a bitch-slap to my face; it was horrifying. I mean, why would you say something like that to someone's face? Not that my friends have never done something like that, but still, you know what I mean.

The girl elegantly stalked away with the rest of her crew in tow, each one of them looking like they had put pounds of spray tan, mascara, eyeliner, and all that other great stuff on their faces.

As they walked off, I looked at the rest of the cafeteria and I walked out of the cafeteria. My walk soon turned into a run though, as I left the cafeteria my eyes streaming with newly formed tears. I ran down the hallway, past my locker where all the former decorations had already been taken down. That just made me tear up harder and when I got to my first period, my teacher looked at me sadly and said, "Sorry dear, but I'm afraid you're late today. You will report to Coach Johnson's class for your detention today." I knew karma was a bitch, but today she must be on her period because I'm having one hell of a bad day today.

As I scanned the full classroom, I saw one seat left in the back corner, and that was next to...drumroll please...my ex. And he just so happened to be the quarterback of this school. FML. As I walked up to the desk I slipped in the seat and for the first time in forever I actually tried to concentrate, but that didn't really happen because the guy next to me just couldn't stop poking my shoulder.

I turn around and whisper yell, "What!?" "Chill woman, I just wanted to take a good look at you and your haircut." "Adrian, I don't have time to keep up with your bullshit, can we catch up later?" I said exasperatedly. Wiggling his eyebrows suggestively, he then replied with, "We can always catch up later tonight at my place if you know what I mean."

As I stared dumbfound at the sex-crazed creature in front of me who I once believed to be attractive, I heard my name being called out for what felt like the millionth time that day. Oh look, it's the same teacher that had given me a detention only like, 15 minutes ago. "Lenora dear, I realize that you have a new haircut, but that is no reason to waste not only your time, but Adrian's time as well on something as trivial as your hair."

It took a lot of self-restraint to just ignore her simpering voice. Biting back a retort I say, "Sorry, I'll try not to do that again, Ms. ...?" Damn, I don't even know my own teacher's name. Rude much?  "Mrs. Buloga."

"Oh...umm...yeah...thanks," I manage to stammer out. Well this was awkward, and what do you do when you're in an awkward situation? Sing in your head obviously. Awkward turtle, awkward turtle, swim away, swim away, conversation eagle, conversation eagle, save the day, save the day.

She turned her head back to the board, and started droning on about the quantum theory and all that other jazz, while out of my peripheral vision I notice a group of people (they wore clothes that went out of fashion like 4 months ago btw) looking at me strangely in the corner, almost as if I was the apple that fell on Newton's head, and they were Newton himself discovering gravity (see, I do pay attention in class).

I peeked at them continuously for the next 5 minutes, but there was one person in the group that caught my eye. He had hipster glasses paired with a tattoo peeking out of his shirt sleeve, and he was also the only one that was adamantly looking away, as if it was a sin to look at me.

Did my hair really look that bad?

A girl with a splash of freckles across her face, green eyes and brown lanky hair found me looking at her and she blushed and looked away, along with the rest of the group.

After class ended, I ran over to the girl that I caught staring and said, "Wait." She stopped walking, turned around, looked at me, and sped off without another word. I then ran through a crowd of people that stared at me as I passed them, and I finally caught up to her under the stairwell. Panting heavily she looked at me with her big green eyes and said, "What do you want?"

Giving her a pointed look I said, "Why do I have to want something to talk to you?" She looked at me strangely like I was an alien from outer space, but then again, I normally don't associate with her type, so I guess I can understand the shock.

"Well, I just want to get to know you, I mean, you seem like a really nice person, and you're also really pretty." That was no lie; the girl wasn't wearing make-up and yet she still looked like she could be in some fashion show somewhere in Paris for her natural beauty.

She stared wide-eyed at me in shock and she stammered out the next few words, "Well...umm... thank you...I mean...yeah...thanks...you're really pretty as well, but you've probably heard that millions of times, but I-" I cut her off with a question that was burning in my mind, "What's your name?"

She looked at me and said, "Amethyst, Amethyst Guenther, but my friends call me Amy."

Looking at her I say, "That's a beautiful name Amy. I would love to hang out with you sometime and meet some of your friends as well." "Well, would you like to sit with us for lunch?"

She stares at me wide-eyed, like she can't even believe that she just said that. I smile at her sincerely and say, "I would love to."

I have been meaning to ask you guys, but could any one of you hook me up with a good editor on wattpad? I'm not the best writer out there so I would love any help that I could possibly get. Anyways, thanks for reading and VOTE, COMMENT, and FOLLOW (first comment gets a dedication on the next chapter)!

Picture: Amethyst Guenther