xiii.

. . .

CHRISTINE: Recording my first album was...magical. I was finally fulfilling my lifelong dream; I mean, that record is me in an album.

But I was lonely.

Everyone had their person, you know?

Graham was my person in Pittsburgh, but then he had Karen. Ronnie was mine for a while, until he spent more time outside of the apartment than in it.

And Eddie, well. He didn't deserve to be my person. Not then.

. . .

The second Daisy Jones and The Six wrapped the Aurora sessions, the studio was booked once again, this time by Christine Hyde. She and Teddy had been talking about recording an album of her own for a few weeks, and Teddy was eager to get her voice on tape. This was partially due to his excitement about the project.

He hadn't yet voiced his idea to have Chris open for The Six.

In his mind, things lined up perfectly. They didn't have an opening act yet, and he half expected her to quit her job and follow them on the road anyway. This would also be the perfect opportunity to promote her album alongside the hottest band in the world. The only potential flaw Teddy could find was the fact that drama seemed to follow Chris wherever she went.

He knew she and Eddie were bound to fight. Teddy wasn't too concerned about this, however. The passion and anger made both of them play better in his eyes.

There was also the fact he wouldn't be the one to deal with them on the road. That was up to Rod.

Teddy and Chris had formed a tight bond by the time they wrapped the album. It had taken them less than two weeks to finish the entire thing, and they found that they worked together beautifully, bouncing ideas off one another, reworking sections that didn't quite fit. Those two weeks would've been some of the best days of her life had she had people to share them with.

Even the people closest to her felt unreachable. Daisy had fucked off to Greece, Ronnie had begun seriously dating some guy he'd met and was rarely in their apartment, and Eddie was obviously not an option, despite his immense freedom. He didn't do a single thing the three weeks before rehearsals started, partly because he wanted to see how things played out with Camila after their hook up, and partly because he wouldn't go anywhere Chris wasn't.

This meant Teddy became her companion for the time being. She'd even gone as far as to call him her best friend when he told her she'd be opening for the band on tour.

One night while they were recording, Chris excused herself and went outside for fresh air and a cigarette. She'd gotten lost in her own thoughts and was outside for longer than she thought. She'd only realized this when Teddy came out to look for her, finding her sat on the curb outside of Sound City with a cigarette in hand.

He sat down beside her and enjoyed the silence for a moment before speaking. "That boy's in love with you, y'know. Eddie is."