ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟚𝟜 - 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔼𝕩𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕞𝕖𝕟𝕥 𝕠𝕗 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕎𝕙𝕚𝕥𝕖 ℝ𝕠𝕠𝕞, ℙ𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝟚

( Takeyama POV, 4 Days Earlier )

The dial tone sounded periodically, ringing on the other end of the line. It was picked up on the fifth ring.

"Hello?"

"Sensei, Takeyama here."

"I've told you before, Takeyama. You're not allowed to call on my personal phone. Please call me on my work number."

"Can't do, sensei. I don't want this call to be recorded in the school's database. Besides, you were the one who gave me this number, you know?"

"Ugh, that was only for emergencies."

"Then for all official purposes, this is an emergency, sensei."

A faint pause on the other end.

"Are you feeling well, Takeyama? Has your condition worsened by any chance?"

"Pretty sure I wouldn't call you of all people if that happened, sensei."

Chabashira-sensei let out a giant sigh. "You're incorrigible. What do you need?"

"I need to talk to you. Are you free right now?"

"Not exactly, but I think I can spare a few moments. I have some work to complete regarding the Deduction Exam."

"What a coincidence, sensei. I wanted to talk to you about the Deduction Exam as well."

"You want to talk about the Deduction Exam? With me?" The voice on the other end was condescending and questioning.

"A proposition, actually. Would you like to hear me out?"

"Go ahead."

"Are you free right now, though? It will be more effective in person."

A pause commenced at the other end. "Only for about 15 minutes, so make it fast."

"Sure. Where are you, sensei?"

"In my staff room."

"Right."

[ ----- ----- ----- ]

I knocked on the staff room door, and it was opened in a few seconds by Chabashira-sensei. She wordlessly invited me in, and closed the staff room door behind her.

"What is this proposition of yours?"

"I hope no one else is listening."

Chabashira-sensei narrowed her eyes. "We're the only ones in the room. I hope your topic of discussion is not that sensitive, Takeyama."

"It is," I replied. "Therefore my necessary precautions."

"Go ahead."

"Is there any chance that you can influence the results of the Deduction Exam?"

A long silence greeted me. Chabashira-sensei looked at me with incredulous eyes.

"Influence the results of the Special Exam? Takeyama, I hope you know what you're talking about. That is a very serious offence."

"Of course, I understand. And that is why I'm asking you," I replied. "All I'm asking is whether you can influence the decision in any way or not. If you cannot, I'm not complaining."

"The fact that you're even asking me this tells me how lightly you're taking this," Chabashira-sensei replied. "You're asking me to do something that could alter the entire outcome you've all worked towards."