24. Voyage

"His Highness's injuries are grave, Your Majesty, no doubt, but he is not healing because he is suffering psychologically as well

"His Highness's injuries are grave, Your Majesty, no doubt, but he is not healing because he is suffering psychologically as well. I would suggest a long vacation. Seaside would definitely help," the royal physician said. 

Jeongguk was right there, hearing everything, but he couldn't find the energy in him to open his eyes and let the people around him know that he was awake. Hell, even breathing hurt. 

Battling so many people, for so many days, taking so many lives and ultimately killing his own brother straight away zapped his energy out for good. 

"Seaside?" the King, Jeongguk's father Jaewan asked hesitantly. 

"Yes, Your Majesty. Even better if he went on a voyage for a year. He needs a change for sure," the physician said. 

Jeongguk groaned at that and made to move, regretting it right away when the small movement sent hundreds of jolts of pain all over his body, making him shoot his eyes open in agony. 

"Oh, my son!! How are you feeling? Are you hurting?? Do you need anything? Shall I call for Jeongyeon? She will-" 

"M-Mothe'" 

It was a weak whisper, but it effectively shut the queen up. 

"Shh..." another weak whisper. 

It took some time for Jeongguk to find all the energy he needed to talk before he was talking again. 

"I wan' 'o go," he whispered and Jihyo, his mother, almost had to stick her ear to his mouth to be able to hear him. "These walls a'e h-haunting me, M-Mother," he almost choked up, but controlled his voice at the very last minute. 

Crying was a sign of weakness and he definitely wasn't weak. 

Jihyo, however, didn't bother to cover the ugly sob that tore out of her the second Jeongguk uttered those words. She knew all about how hard Jeongguk had to fight in the battle, after all. She was sure this war was going to go down the history as one of the bloodiest and cruellest wars ever. 

"Go on, son. You do not have to take any permission. Do whatever you want to. Live the life you deserve. Your father will guard the throne for you until you return," she said. 

Jeongguk gave her a small smile and directed the same smile at his father as well. The smile widened slightly when his father nodded back at him with an encouraging smile of his own. 

"Jeongyeon," his voice was already starting to gain colour at the prospect of getting to go on a voyage for a change. He desperately needed it to get his mind around everything that had happened. They were so fast that he still didn't process anything yet despite ending up killing his brother in the battle. 

Jihyo was out of the room as soon as the word left Jeongguk's mouth. She looked at Jeongyeon, who was standing right outside the room anxiously, and gestured for her to get in. Jeongyeon obeyed right away, flinching when she noticed Jeongguk awake.