Chapter 46: "Practice what you preach"

Julius POV

Sitting with Terry in a motel room is a bit awkward, just like our joint journey to get here. Alexa was the one to start the topic.

Back in the pack, we all were so focused on preparing the details of the assassination of Alpha Ravenswood that we didn't have time for any personal dwelling. But then, when he had to spend so much time in one car, the silence got quite heavy, so Alexa asked Terry about his past as a hunter.

I was somewhat surprised that he started answering her questions; Chen was driving and not talking much, but he listened eagerly. I guess, after all, the three of us were curious. We were raised under hunter threat; we knew a lot about them if the considerate attack and strategies but not their motivation or daily life. So I was pretty surprised when Terry told us how similar clans were actually to packs. One leader, followed by many. The common well before the individual. Your place in life decided by your skills, strength, and usefulness towards a pack or clan.

Terry also told us about what happened ten years ago when he had a final confrontation with the Black Moon Pack and how exactly Danny ended up adopted. I may see him as a killer, but he was a good leader who cared about his people and always put them first.

And now, we sit together in the motel room, waiting for Alexa and Chen, who have headed to the meeting with Alpha Ravenswood to discuss the treaty and money transfer, at least officially. It should be alright, but considering that the Alpha is practically mad, anything can happen, which worries me.

"May I ask you a personal question?" I ask, looking at Terry, who is busy taking care of his guns and knives.

"Of course"

"Why did you take pity on girls? What was the reason?"

"What was the reason you got attached to Danny so fast? Why have you raised Trist as your own?" he answers, sighing and sitting on the bed to face me. " I don't have an easy answer. I was in the right place at the right time, and Pearl asked for help. I felt it was right to care about them, to keep them safe. It was never about retribution. Do we need a reasonable reason to take care of somebody?"

"Not really, it's just that I try to understand who you really are."

"I'm what you see. I did a lot of bad things, but not recently. I am your enemy, yet when we kept our secrets hidden, we managed to be friends. You liked my company as much as I liked yours. Does it make you feel guilty?"

"No," I answer quickly. "I liked your company too, I admit it, but when you posed a possible threat, none of this mattered anymore."

"The same for me; Jewels came first for me. If I had to hurt Howl Pack to protect them, I would do it without hesitation. Good that I didn't have to."

"And why Mae? Your father must've left some more names in his notebook that you could've asked for help."

"Because from all of them, Mae lived the closest to the Black Moon Pack. I may not have seen my sister in ten years, but I wanted to stay close enough in case she would need me."

I want to say something more, but the door opens, and Alexa and Chen walk inside with three more people. The first, I recognize as Beta od Ravenswood pack. Ivory described him as a strong warrior and a rather just person, and Terry confirmed that he at least tried to help Ivory and Pearl to survive after their mother's death. The second one is the Spirit Catcher with whom I spoke a couple of weeks ago; he notices and nods to me, smiling. I don't know the last, but I presume he is the warrior who once asked Alexa for help.

"I guess we will have now some tough negotiations," I say, standing up from my seat.

"I decided to bring here Aaron because I need him to check the honesty of your wolves," says Beta pointing toward a Spirit Catcher. "Chuck is a warrior in my pack and..."