Prologue

The Barbary Islands, as the name suggests, are home to barbarian tribes. They are usually called Vikings or Northman or also Norseman. They were explorers, traders or when their trade failed, they would raid and pillage. The Vikings were clearly not very popular with nations outside the islands. The Barbary Islands are in the North Atlantic sea area, an area with skin-piercing cold.

There are many Viking tribes living in the Barbary islands, such as Berk for example. Berk is a large island with very high cliffs on several sides of the island. This is the home of the Viking Hooligan tribe for decades. Berk is a, uhm, you could say 'fun' place. Unlike nations outside the islands, who face lions or bears to survive, the Berkians, fight... Dragons! Well, you heard that right. It is indeed a dragon, and there are many dragons, which they consider to be wild animals. And the Berkians, renowned for their fighting ferocity as well as their stubbornness, refused to move to another island. They will fight the dragons until they are completely wiped out from the face of this earth. And Berk's current chief, Stoick the Vast, will make that dream come true.

Once, on a cold night in Berk, a boy was born. This child was born to Stoick the Vast, the chieftain of Berk and his wife Valka, a woman known as the 'Dragon Lover'. She's clearly not very likable, considering Berk is a dragon-unfriendly place. Stoick the Vast cried tears of joy, because at long last, he had a son to inherit the chieftaincy of his tribe. If he failed to find a way to exterminate the dragons, then his own son would continue it. He imagined that he would be a strong, muscular, tough and fierce child, just like the elite Vikings. However, his wife didn't think that could happen. The child was small, according to his condition when he was born, smaller than most Viking children. He would get sick before he was even 1 year old, because his body was so vulnerable, according to a Berk healer named Gothi. However, it seems that the gods still care about this child, he is healthy and continues to grow, even though he is small and thin.

Once, Valka went missing, was kidnapped by a dragon that looked like an owl during a raid, and never came back. The only thing he left behind was his baby child and the child's name. His name is Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III.

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

(15 years later)

It's a quiet night on Berk. No raid. There are no enemies. And no dragons. All the Berkians were fast asleep in their beds, tired from the day's work. However, at the Berk chief's house, someone was still awake. A boy was lying on his back staring blankly at the ceiling of his house. The boy's name was Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III. He, unlike other vikings, was thin, small and weak in appearance. Rough language, dwarf.

Hiccup just had a tough day. Hard normal day. Well, he had had a rough day in his entire life, as if it was a blessing he should be grateful for. An apprenticeship in Gobber's blacksmith shop, neglected by his father, and relentless bullying from young residents and teenagers became his daily bread.

Hiccup is not the same as the others. He doesn't look, think and act like a typical viking. Maybe he really isn't a Viking. Don't you think so?

He is the village dwarf. Since he was 8 years old, he was bullied by the Berkian people. Hiccup has earned the nicknames 'Useless', 'Fishbone' or 'Berk's failure'. He was physically and psychologically abused by his younger cousin, Snotlout Jorgenson and his accomplices namely the twins Tuffnut and Ruffnut Thorston.

When he was 5 years old, he befriended Astrid Hofferson. This shield girl with anger management issues is Hiccup's crush. They were best friends in childhood, playing and laughing without a thought for the world. However, their friendship ended when Astrid's uncle Finn Hofferson was killed by Flightmare, humiliating the Hofferson clan. Astrid openly stays away and ignores Hiccup until she turns to verbal insults that hurt Hiccup. He lost his friend.

He is also friends with Fishlegs Ingerman. A geeky kid whose brain is only filled with dragon lore. You could say dragon maniac. He, like Hiccup, relies on mind power rather than muscle strength. However, his big and fat physique made him have the criteria of a Viking. Hiccup and Fishlegs often get together and discuss dragons. However, as time goes by, seeing the village bullying Hiccup scares him. He fears that he will become the target of bullying for being friends with Hiccup. Fishlegs slowly pulled away from Hiccup, like Astrid. Until finally, the village's main teenage gang, consisting of Snotlout Jorgenson, The twins Thorston and Astrid Hofferson, asked Fishlegs to join. Fishlegs eventually joined in so as not to be intimidated. Once again Hiccup lost a friend. Hurtful.

Currently he is alone, without friends, without anyone who cares and understands him, except Gobber. The veteran blacksmith is indeed close and cares about Hiccup, but he doesn't really understand Hiccup's situation. Alone, friends, abandoned until betrayed seems to be a cycle for Hiccup. He was always left alone in a fragile and hurt state. Every night Hiccup always cried until his tears were dry. The sadness that hit him made his chest tight and his heart ached. Just imagine, he was treated like a slave by his own people. HIS OWN NATION!

He was constantly harassed by Snotlout without being able to defend himself, he was insulted by the girl he liked, he was betrayed by his friends, he was also neglected by his own father. Oh god, he is the saddest viking in history. He is not at all like a viking. Was he born to be a viking? That question always pops up in Hiccup's mind every night before going to sleep.

"Oh, God must really hate me."

A/N: Hi everyone, hope you like this HTTYD fanfic.  As a HTTYD fan, I sometimes want to make a fanfic with a different story from the original.  So why not try?  Well, the update I did was slow, please understand.  Have a nice day